HELP !! No Fuel comming out of my M35B Injection Pump -Two months at the dock

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Paul : On your engine your injection pump body may not have required any shims to be in time!!!! 

I wouldn't screw with the pump, but take it to a reputable diesel shop and have them check it.  They will clean it if necessary.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ellispe

I took the Rack plate off and can see lot's of dirt in the oil. This is what may be causing rack to stick.  I am NOT going to take this thing apart, but thought before I drive a few hours to a shop, I would try to clean off the external parts.  I looked on the web and found many things that people say to use : IE , Diesel, ATF, Acetone, break cleaner, and more.   Perhaps I could clean it with Clean oil since that's what it lives in.  Any thoughts would be appreciated on what I could use to clean the Rack area (see picture). If this does not work, it's off to the rebuilder.

Thanks
Peter

Robert Mann

I agree with Ron, don't screw with it, if you are taking it to an injection shop.  They will take it apart and clean it up before reassembly.  The pump relies on metal to metal tolerances for sealing and pressure generation,  so it truly is a precision piece of equipment
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

travlinon

I have experienced exactly the same problems with my boat (year 2000, M35B) after replacing my seawater pump with a Oberdorfer.
Can you advise what the outcome was with your injector pump.
Ken
Ken Edwards
"Catalynne"
2000 C34 #1487 Fin keel
Universal M35B
Mandurah, Western Australia

travlinon

As I wasn't able to get a response from elipse, I thought I would post my outcome in case it is of any benefit to other members.
I too ended up removing the injector pump and found the rack would not move completely freely, sometimes jamming quite severely when moved back or forth. I also removed the cover plate , cleaned the rack with a cloth of all oil and possible dirt then re-oiled with engine oil and put the cover plate back on. The rack now moved completely freely with no jamming whatsoever. I reinstalled everything self bled  the fuel using the lift pump and the motor virtually started immediately.  :clap :clap. Everything is now operating as normal.
The rack did not appear to be dirty and I could see no evidence of anything on the cleaning cloth, but the fresh lubrication certainly made a huge difference. It appears to me that my problems were caused by the rack being jammed in the "stop" position (hence no fuel past the injector pump) and not returning to the start position when the cut-off lever was pushed down to start.
Incidentally the Oberdorfer pump that I used to replace the original Sherwood is working beautifully thanks to a member from this forum Ken Kloeber who supplied the pump and provided invaluable help and assistance -would definately recommend him to other members.
Ken Edwards
"Catalynne"
2000 C34 #1487 Fin keel
Universal M35B
Mandurah, Western Australia