What make/model replacement refrigeration unit for 1987 C34

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh17

I need to replace my refrigeration system. The compressor unit is locate on the starboard side of the lazarette hatch, as appears to be standard for this early model. I'm looking for the specific make and model number used by others who have replace their units. My main concerns are the length of the freon lines, and the capacity of the unit to cool properly. I look forward to your replies.

James
s/v CaiLeighAnna
Hull 299
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Jon W

I don't know if it was original, but the manual I have says it's a Frigiboat brand.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Many of the boats came with Adler Barbour "Cold Machines."  A/B is now owned by WAECO Dometic.

Does it look like this?

PS - edit - the name on it might be a giveaway?!?   :thumb:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

James, I installed a Nova Kool.  Very happy with it.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Hugh17

James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Paulus

James, I am going to the boat tomorrow.  Spring has finally arrived in Michigan and I will get the info on the model. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

karista

Catalina installed the Adler Barber Cold Machine unit back then in your location. The current off the shelf Adler Barber unit refrigeration lines will be too short. If you plan to replace it with another Adler Barber unit in the same location, you will also need to order their line extension kit. Do a search and you will find much more detail re this subject. :thumb:
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Steve McGill

James,

A few years back I replaced mine with a like unit from Adler Barbour. With the compressor in the aft locker I needed all of the 15' provided with the standard
evaporator. Would be a shame if that amount of plumbing was no longer included. Check out defender.com.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Roland Gendreau

I replaced mine with a Sea Frost unit which works well.  While it can make ice using hanging ice cube trays, it does not have a freezer compartment, and the fleet admiral complains about that.   Sea Frost customized the cooling plate to fit the ice box and also provided longer tubing runs , both at nominal extra cost as I recall (11 years ago).

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ken Juul

The Sea Frost is available in either cold plate or freezer box styles.  Very easy folks to work with, will modify as necessary to meet you needs.  At least on the MK 1.5, the standard freezer box fit with no modifications.  I mounted my freezer box high so the lid acts at the freezer compartment door.  Save some money that way, and cold sinks so it keeps the entire box cold.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Paulus

James, I put in a Nova Kool,  compressor LT 200 and RT 6 cold plates.  This is the freezer box, which has 3 cold plates.  I installed it to the front of the ice box so that you did not have to reach over it.  Also, installed the ice box. 
Not able to find the model # at this time   www.novakool.com
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Roland Gendreau on April 14, 2016, 10:38:34 AM
it does not have a freezer compartment, and the fleet admiral complains about that.   

Some have put a partial divider in a reefer with the ice cube/evaporator on that side to make a small "freezing side."   The spill out cools the reefer side of the box.  Have no idea your configuration and if that's possible?  Practicality would depend on the BTUs but "up north" it might.  I ass/u/me that the "cooling plate" is an evaporator and not a holding plate style?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Paulus

Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Sea Frost has been highly recommended by Maine Sail.  If I had to replace mine, that's what I'd use.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

If you spend a lot of time at anchor, you might also compare energy used.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944