Christmas List - Year End Purchases...

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

Yes the boat has to come out to service the maxprop and the Kiwi prop. One of the reasons - beyond excellent reviews of performance - that I chose a three blade Flexofold. Zero maintenance beyond an occasional buffing and zinc replacement every 12-18 months. Both can be done in the water if necessary.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

BillG

Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Ralph Masters

A change to my Christmas list after reading the articles on the new smart plug, I have ordered the new boat side plug and a new 50 foot shore cord.

Ralph
S/V Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Clay Greene

This is a very good article on feathering and folding propellers.  This debunks a lot of common "wisdom" about both. 

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/folding-and-feathering-propeller-test-29807
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

oldcatsailor

i put a 2 blade flex fold on 1064 have been very happy with performance
have the m35
Sail 1064 Tr wing keel 1990/

Ben H.

Hi All,

I'm leaning towards getting a FlexoFold 3 blade folding prop. I see in others' posts a mix of 15x10 and 15x9 on the M25XP (my engine) and other engines.

Anyone care to comment on why they picked one over the other? Update on ownership experience?

Thanks Ben
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Ron Hill

Ben : Let me caution you that the 9 & 10 inch pitches are for a SAILOR style 3 bladed fixed prop. 
You need to look at a sailor prop and note the small cord surface area.

Most all other prop blades are much wider so that pitch will not apply!!  Stick with a 15" diameter!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ben H.

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 22, 2015, 08:59:31 AM
Ben : Let me caution you that the 9 & 10 inch pitches are for a SAILOR style 3 bladed fixed prop. 
You need to look at a sailor prop and note the small cord surface area.

Most all other prop blades are much wider so that pitch will not apply!!  Stick with a 15" diameter!

A few thoughts

Ron, I'm confused by your statement.

Yes, 15" is the builders diameter size. What are you saying regarding pitch? It seems people have used 9, 10, and 11 pitch on C34s.

I'd like to know what pitch people thing works well with the M25XP and flexofold.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Ron Hill

Ben : What I'm telling you is to examine a real sailor prop.  Note the short distance from leading edge to trailing edge.  Then look at a Michigan Wheel prop e.g.  and note the same measurement.

As I said before the pitch of 9" or 10" or 11" ONLY pertains to the narrow bladed sailor style prop!!!!!!!

Look! 
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

If you do a quick search on Flexofold, you will see many C34 owners with M25XP engines reporting happiness with the 15x10 three-blade prop.  You'd probably be fine with a 15x9, as Flexofold tends to recommend, but you probably would not get as much forward speed, particularly in chop. 

I recommend that you purchase the prop through a dealer here in the U.S. instead of from Flexofold directly so as to avoid customs charges.  That was an unwelcome surprise (almost $90) when I purchased my second Flexofold. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

SailingJerry

Quote from: Ben H. on December 15, 2015, 07:38:35 PM
Quote from: BillG on December 12, 2015, 07:04:45 AM
Try Kappa Sails, located in Westbrook CT,  I replaced my main with them and have friends who have also purchased from them, they have a great reputattion.

The sails and I are taking a visit to Kappa Sail in the morning. We will see how things go.

Gary. Again thanks for the offer, but I have a wing keel and don't believe yours would fit.

What is everyone's thoughts on feathering props?
I went to Kappa for main and jib. Very helpful and great product. I am at western end of LI Sound and went for the 150 genoa. Many of the posters are from windier areas and the Sound can be pretty dead in the summer. If you don't want to hoist a light air blooper think long and hard about 130 vs 150. Many discussion boards on the C34 site.
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame