New Owner of C34 #886

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben H.

Hello Everyone.

I recently purchased a Catalina 34 here in CT that had been sitting out of the water for about 5 years. I'm a novice when it comes to sailing, but am quick on the uptake. Physically this boat seems to be well cared for and in sound condition. I was told she ran a sandbar before coming out of the water and had her rudder break away. The prop and shaft were also removed as a precaution. The only other "damage" I can see is a chip by the rudder tube and the "Catalina" smile.  Over winter I'm looking at prepping her as much as I can to get her back in the water this spring. I'd love to hear from everyone what sort of things I should look for, possible projects for now/later, and general recommendations.

I'm going to make a second post regarding the engine, M-25XP, that I'm having trouble starting. (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8731.0.html).

Again, I look forward to tapping everyone knowledge.

Thanks, Ben
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Stu Jackson

Welcome, Ben and congratulations on your new boat.

We're here to help, fire away.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ben H.

Here is the link to the engine woes post.   http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8731.0.html

So far myself and co-owner Chris have
- Given the boat a quick scrubbing to get dirt/green mold off
- Covered boat with frame and HUGE tarp that still leaves it accessible via crawling.
- Attempted to start the motor http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8731.0.html
- Spot cleaned the inside.

Over the winter I'd like to:
- Go through electrical system to learn/label/neaten up everything
- Go through plumbing system to learn/label/repair/ everything. Thinking of replacing all 26+ year old hoses.
- I see evidence of leaking ports. Would like to replace all seals, but think I'll have to wait for warmer weather now. In CT its averaging mid 40s-50s now.
- Get motor running!
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Jon W

Hi Ben, welcome. I bought my 1987 mid April of this year, and what you will find out in a little while is how valuable this owners forum and the helpful and experienced people that participate in it are. What year is your boat? I've done quite a bit to my 87 since getting it. I can clean up my to do list and post here if you think it would help.
Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

BillG

where is your  boat sitting for the winter?
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Ben H.

Jon W. - I believe my boat is from 1989. I'd love to see your list if you are willing to share. Thanks!

BiilG - My boat it sitting at a storage yard in CT currently.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ben H. on November 19, 2015, 09:20:15 AM
Jon W. - I believe my boat is from 1989.

Ben,

http://www.c34.org/owners-database/owners.html

This database is no longer active, it was from the old website which required input from our "team of highly trained professionals" -- that's the guys who knew how to html back in the olde daze.   :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Clay Greene

Ben, our boat was #873 and came off the assembly line in September 1988 as a 1989 model year boat.  Yours would have been fairly shortly after ours.  You can determine the exact month by the hull identification number.  The letter that is fourth from the end is the month the boat was built, the following number is the year and the last two numbers are the model year.  Ours was I889, so I for September (starts with A in January), 8 for year manufactured, and 89 for model year. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ben H.

Quote from: Stu Jackson on November 19, 2015, 10:33:34 AM
our "team of highly trained professionals" -- that's the guys who knew how to html back in the olde daze.   :D :D :D

HTML isn't so scary. Just need a < here and a /> there and maybe an a ref='magic' to finish it off.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Ben H.

Quote from: claygr on November 19, 2015, 11:09:27 AM
The letter that is fourth from the end is the month the boat was built, the following number is the year and the last two numbers are the model year.

Just looked on some paper work and see J889. So that would be October 1988, Model year 1989?
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Clay Greene

1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Jon W

Hi Ben,
A little busy here, so will need another day or so to post the list. It has what's been done and my future plans. Please remember every boat (and owner) is different so please don't take it as "must do's" just information.   Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Jon W

Hi Ben,
      You will probably look at the list and think what a mess the boat I bought was, but there were only a few things outside the Critical Upgrade list that needed to be done. The list is more a reflection of preparing the boat for how I intend to use it, than what was wrong with it. My plan is to retire in 2 years and cruise the west coast, possibly to Canada, and Mexico. In other words, depending on intended use of the boat, some items really did not have to be done. Please remember every boat is different, and everyones purpose is different.

With all that said -

Attached is my running list of what's been done, and what I'm planning/thinking of doing. One of the first things I did was make a list of the marine, engine, and rigging surveyors input and combined my thoughts. To keep it somewhat manageable, I broke it into Phases. Phase 1 and 2 are done, and I'm on Phase 3. If the item says DONE, that task is complete. Hope it is helpful.

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Jon, that is an extremely thorough list, great work.

[for searching:  weblog]

Jon W

Thanks. Without a checklist to create a plan I don't think I would have gotten as much done in the last 5-6 months. I added two items to the attachment in the original post in red text. Small items but was bugging me that I missed them.   Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca