What would cause this corrosion inside?

Previous topic - Next topic

kable

Looking at a boat and overall it is in pretty good shape.  I am concerned regarding this table base and how it looks really corroded, was it flooded?  What would cause this?
Thanks,
Kable

1988 C34 #785 SR/WK Universal M25XP - "As We Wish" Bellingham, WA - San Juan Islands

KWKloeber

Quote from: kable on September 08, 2015, 11:21:44 PM
Looking at a boat and overall it is in pretty good shape.  I am concerned regarding this table base and how it looks really corroded, was it flooded?  What would cause this?
Thanks,
Kable

Poor materials/bad batch could.
let's see more pix - esp of "hidden" spaces.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

SPembleton

Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Carolina Soul

My 1988 is doing the same thing - but not as bad.  I think it is a combination of shoes kicking the base and dislodging the paint and then any moisture - from an open hatch, deck cleaning, spills, etc. attacking the weak paint.  I have no problems that are related to this and think it is just cosmetic.

patrice

Hi,

Is it possible that the casting is aluminum, and once the paint is gone, it is not protected anymore and it will corrode ( oxydize ) naturally ??
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

jmcdonald

Had the same problem. Took the base off and had it sandblasted ( every auto machine shop has a blaster ).
Found a paint at Lowes that was real close to the original color and painted the base. That was two years
ago. It still looks great.

Jim Hardesty

Don't think that the paint/corrosion on the table base by itself would indicate a flooding.  Look at the plywood balkheads, flooring, engine compartment, bilge, etc. for signs of high water.  As far as the paint chipping and corrosion I agree with every one else.  Could have started as paint chipped when the screws (stainless steel) were tightened then corrosion gets under the paint.  Looks like a couple of hour job not including paint drying.  Not something I would think twice about if I were looking to buy the boat.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Mine's just like that, too.  I'll fix it when I finally get that 36" x 24" new table!!! :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

K : Just being in a moist air environment will cause corrosion.

If the boat was flooded you'd be able to tell it from the teak/holly sole. 
I'd remove it, clean it up, and give it a new spray paint job.  Metallic Bronze will make it like new!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

My base is cast aluminum and peeling just a little  - nothing dramatic. 

Alum is soooo difficult to get good adhesion due to instant oxidation that occurs, and then the oxidation just takes off under the surface of the paint. 

Alum needs an acid bath to remove oxidation and give paint a 'bite.'  Then followed by an etching primer, ending w/ a 1 or 2 finish steps.  When I repainted my spars, I got a cocktail made up by a commercial client that painted alum and steel bodies for cement mixer trucks.  It was a 5 step process, starting with the acid wash and finishing with a 2-part epoxy, all done in a few hours.
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain