jib fairlead & jib sheet truning blocks for Mark I

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Phil : Also note that Garhauer makes both ball bearing turning blocks and NON ball bearing turning blocks.
I was surprised to find that I was one of the few that had ball bearing turning cheek blocks!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Then there's this:

http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-jib-sheets.html

Pictures being processed as we speak.  :D

The more I think about it, this link covers almost all the bases.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Phil Spicer

Ron, I won't tell you how long I have had the ball bearing cheek blocks, but I have missed the Annapolis show for 2 years. The Garhauer booth
is always an early stop. If the rain stops I may get to my upgrades this summer.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Stu Jackson

Port side
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Port side, second picture I moved the aft fairlead waaay back, shows the interference without the cheek block.

Stu Jackson

Starboard side, with my furling line block and cleat.

Both cheek blocks are at the same height, no adjustments necessary.

Access to BOTH blocks inside the boat is horrible.  Starboard side requires a new Beckson port in the aft cabin and dumpster diving or removing the cockpit panel on the port side.

Stu Jackson

Starboard without cheek block and port side with double fairleads.

SPembleton

Stu, thanks for all of the pics and the link.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

SPembleton

Stu- Are you showing a cheek block on both sides? If so, why is there a cheek block on the starboard side?  On my boat it works fine without one.  It seems that it actually moves the sheet closer to the coaming.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

Stu Jackson

Yes, Steve, that's how she came when I bought her in 1998.  

Symmetry???  :clap: :shock: 8) :? :abd:

Sure, it isn't needed, but it sure works.  I also couldn't tell you if they're the ball bearing blocks or not.  I find servicing my winches every 8 years seems to have worked.   :clap

For sure the port side is easier to get to by dumpster diving, so if you opt for only one, that'd be the right choice.

SPembleton

As always, thanks for all of the help/ advice/guidance and educated opinion.  You are making boat ownership a lot less stressful.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

Phil Spicer

Thanks Stu. The pictures tell everything. Hope to get on this soon. Looks like your port cheek block is mounted
where my furler cleat is placed. Like your furler set up...simple!     Safe & happy  holiday
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Stu Jackson

Glad to help, Phil.  That furler arrangement also has the advantage of keeping the starboard side deck pretty clear.  I guess from the location of your furling cleat now that the line comes across from the stanchion and makes it hazardous on that side deck for the first step or two.  Happy holiday to you and all.

Ron Hill

Noah & Phil : Look at Stu's picture of his cheek block on the starboard side. 

You'll see that his block is mounted on a teak standoff that I was talking about!!
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig