What do you do for a helm seat?

Previous topic - Next topic

Rortega46

I am the proud "new" owner of a 2001 C34 MKII.  Love the way it handles and interior but don't understand the helm design.  After standing at the helm for 24 hours over a couple days on the ICW, I put an ice chest at the helm to sit on.    Helmseat.com has something that looks great but they stopped making 'em a couple of years ago.  Also, I saw the article in the latest Mainsail on fabricating one and this is an option, but with all the C34s on the water there must be other good solutions.  So, what do you do on your C34 MKII for a helm seat?    It must be movable to allow access to the swim platform.  Thanks in advance for replies!   
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Do you have the corner perch seats at the rear? That's what I used. If you have an auto pilot it's great but you can hold a pretty good straight course with your foot.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Roc

I always sit on the coaming off to the side and hold the wheel from there.  Sometimes leaning on the lifeline.  Very comfortable.  The wheel on the C34 is nicely proportioned to do this. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

tommyt

I would agree with Mike and Roc, those both work best for me. Certainly there are some times when motoring in traffic that I would stand behind the wheel, but always found that the removable seat behind the wheel, hooked on the rail, works as a good backrest. It also gets it out of the way!

Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Ken Juul

walk thru transom, removable stern seat is home in the garage.  Just takes up too much room on the boat and isn't used, can't see through the chartplotter.  Stern perch seat, on the side coaming or sitting on the either of the side stern seats works for me.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Hardesty

I'm the same as Ken.  The only time I'm directly behind the wheel is when I need to reach the throttle and shift lever.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Rortega46

Thanks to everyone for your replies.  I need something more than steering for the stern perch seats or combing.  I decided to put a Yeti 32 with cushion, tie down straps and a lock on top of the removable seat.  It gives me and my 1st mate just the right elevation to see over the instruments.  I'll live without arm rests and swiveling pedastel and instead opt for ready access to cold beverages!
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA