Running Wires Through Mast Compression Post & Tightening Chain Plate Rods

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancrosswis

Hi All,

I have questions on two projects for which I did not find any existing threads.

Running Wires Through Mast Compression Post.  After an unplanned night crossing of Lake Michigan last summer (which was both gorgeous and great fun), I decided I'd like to have a light for my windex.  I will power the light from the navigation lights circuit.  I have an '86 deck stepped mast.  Running new wires up the mast was straight forward.  Running wires through the deck and down the compression post is looking much harder.  The existing wires coming through the deck and mast step are bedded in a huge blob of what I expect is silicone (it's white, adheres aggressively to everything and is still flexible).  I have begun digging my way through it and have reached about 1/2 inch below the deck top, with no bottom in sight.  My fear is that the adhesive/caulk may run down for inches.  I don't know how I would get through that depth.  Any one have any experience with this?  Any suggestions on how to complete the wiring?

Tightening Chain Plate Rods.  I removed and rebedded my chain plates.  I am now ready to re-attach my rods.  How tight to make them?  Any suggestions along the lines of "finger tight" and then "x" turns?  I removed the rods with the boat in the cradle.  I noticed the deck "move" when releasing two rods on the same side.  Will it be wise to launch and let the boat rest for a day before tightening the rods?  Sort of let her resume her "in the water" form first?

Thanks for any help,

Dan Cross
Ennui Went

Roc

Hi Dan,
About the chain plates.  Definitely put the boat back in the water before you attach them.  Let it sit for a couple days before you start.  The chain plates should transfer the load from the rigging down to where they attach the hull underneath, so you don't want to tighten them too much.  They should not pull down on anything by tightening them too much.  When I did mine, I counted the thread turns when I removed them so I would get them in about the same tension.  I guess you didn't do that.  Either see if the nut left some kind of marking where it originally was, then you can put it in about the same place.  Or really just finger tighten them making sure they don't pull down on the deck.  You want to take up the slack, but not much more than that.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Dancrosswis

Roc,  You're right.  I didn't count.  Good idea for the (I hope there will be no) next time.  Thanks for the info.

Dan

Andrew Harvey

Hi Dan,
It seems that the PO must have filled a lot caulk in the post. I found some of that expanding foam sealant in mine and was able to remove it.
If you are successful in removing the caulk, make sure you add a lead line for future use in case you wand to add something else to you mast head

Andrew Harvey

Dancrosswis

Andrew,

You know, mine may be expanding foam.  It's pretty dense, much denser than the homeowner/diy expanding foams I've worked with, but there are minute air bubbles.  I will persevere.  Any suggestions on how to snake the wires out the slot at the bottom of the post?  I've thought of dropping a chain or wire and then catching it from below with a "shepherd's crook" wire.  Also, how did you close up your cabin top hole?  I've played with the idea of trying to insert tubing, shaped like an upside down "j", and sealing that in place, with the thought that it will allow additional wiring but keep out (most of) the water.

Again, thanks for your thoughts,

Dan