mast tilt

Previous topic - Next topic

garyw

Hi
I noticed after Ihauled the boat , that the mast was tilted to port by 5-10 degree- never noticed it before but probably was there all the time at least since I owned the boat which has been 1 year.    Is there any way to straighten it out.   I was going to loosen the stays on the port side and tighten the ones on the starboard side but didn't know if there was anything I needed to be aware of .

thanks

gary w
summer breeze
catalina 34  1986

Jim Hardesty

I wouldn't tune the mast it till the boat was back in the water.  The yard may have set your boat with some list to port.  I do loosen my back stay for the winter, about 7 turns, seems to reduce the vibration.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

garyw

lazybone

I wouldn't rely on your "eye" to set your mast.
Use a Halliard  to measure each side.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

gary : Never try to tune a mast unless the hull has been in the water 24 hours.

I'd then take the topping lift and use it to go from the starboard side and measure the length - then go to the port side and measure the length.  You can use the deck by the aft lower shroud on each side.  Then adjust turnbuckles so the length on each side is the same.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Perhaps a dumb question: but are you sure it is actually mast bend/tuning and not the infamous Catalina 34 port list? Although the port list "issue" wouldn't be a factor on the hard, and probably is just the way boat is positioned in cradle or stands. But once you get it back in the water and settled in check again that the entire boat isn't leaning a bit, before you mess with the tuning.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig