LunaSea cabin light "defect"?

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

I just installed two of these sexy, dimming, touch sensor, LED reading lights in my aft cabin. They look and work great BUT they have a weird wiring quirk. When they lose power, i.e. every time my "cabin lights" circuit breaker is turned off and then back on, these lights come on. This is the factory default. Even if they are turned off before the breaker is turned off, every time I come to the boat and energize the "cabin light" breaker switch, I have to remember to go into the aft cabin and turn of these lights.  Nice lights but strange touch wiring logic. Should be the "lose power" default is reset to "off" not on. I could bypass this by installing a switch inline but.... :shock: Susan, you recommended these... Did you notice this quirk too. BTW I still love the lights!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Sue Clancy

Yes I have noticed the lights coming on but I had not traced it back to this pattern. Now that I see your diagnosis, you are probably correct about when it happens. In our case my husband had been doing some engine work and turned off the DC power from the main switch and when he turned it on, the lights went on.   We just didn't realize it immediately as the aft cabin door was closed.

This would be important to be aware of if you are under battery power. Even though they use very little power, you would not want them on draining valuable battery power.
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

Stu Jackson

Noah, a friend just put these in his C34, I'll ask him this weekend.  FWIW, I can partially understand the logic (or illogic) behind the design decision:  power goes out, when it comes back on the lights are on.  I don't agree, but can see the thinkin'...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Noah,

Luna is working on the "problem"  I'll let you know if/when they get it "fixed."

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Rick Allen

Can confirm. I just installed four of these lights in my boat and they all default back to "on" when using the main panel switch. I love the lights though! They're very cool for the price.
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.