Solar Panel

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

This is the first summer with a solar panel(100 watt, 6 amp  max out put).  The ref ran 24/7 from the time we left Muskegon to the time of our return(11 weeks).  All instruments were used during sailing(wind, speed, gps, auto helm etc.).  May wife and I had our two grand daughters aboard from June 23 to July 5th  and our grandson the Aug. 3rd to 11th.  During this time normal amount of lights were used, vacuum(12volt) and ref defrosted about every 9 days?.
I did not have to start the engine or use the Honda 1000, left it in the car. I recorded the battery twice a day, 7am and 9pm every day for the summer.
We stayed in our favorite anchorage for 6 days in July, resting up from the girls.  I record the battery with a closed circuit, I thinks that means things might have been running. The following number during this 6 day period was derived in this manner:  I took each day, the voltage morning and night, averaged that number and then took the 6 day total and averaged the 6 numbers.  Voltage average was 12.67.   Hope this makes sense, I am not an electrician or mechanic.
Comments or ideas are welcomed.  
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

cmainprize

Paula's, sounds like your panel is a great balance for your average daily usage.  We used a 130 watt panel on our previous c30 and never had an issue. We currently use a 240 panel mounted on the Davits and have power to spare even late in the year when the sun is much lower up here above 45 degrees lat.  We have converted to LEDs but we still use a ton of power.  Our kids watch movies on a 32 inch tv, charge up all the electric gizmos, and the fridge never gets shut off.  I would always recommend to anyone to mount the biggest panel you can fit.   
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario