replacing VETUS cowl vents

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Touche!

Hadn't thought about doing that. Next time it gets unbearablly hot here I'll  try that to see if it makes a difference.  Usually when it get that hot, no air is blowing anyway.  But I'll give it a try.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

pjcomeau

Becki,

I can't remember what I used to re-bed (I know it was not butyl, since I had not discovered this great option until more recently). It's a pretty simple mechanism, the mushroom/cover is attached to a threaded post. On the other end is a knob that you turn one way and screws open (wider), and the other to close (or less wide).

Like you mine were unusable and even the screen was falling apart. Not sure what previous owner had done to get then so rusted.

Good luck.
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

anaisdog

How do you install the ATHOS?  does the white trim ring go inside the boat (I assume) and the metal trim goes on top?  what did you use to bed it on both sides?  I'm still very confused as to how this thing works
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

anaisdog

Stu, or anyone else, what would you bed this vent with, in the cabin and on top?  butyl?  silicone?  4200?  something else?  you just list sealant, in the article  thanks

Ron Hill

Becki : I'd use clear or white silicone to bed them after you install the new "innards".  You are bedding screws that are going into fiberglass, so any squeeze out will match the gelcoat. 

I posted a Mainsheet tech note tip - that I tightened the inside nut so the vent would stay in open position.  Then I installed a 4" Beckson port on the inside of the cabin over the Vetus trim ring (the holes line up - need a longer screw), so if I wanted to close the port I screwed in the Beckson cap and didn't have to fool around with Vetus mechanism!!

Many a time I "closed" those ports in the winter or spring when it was cold and I was staying on the boat!!  I had both a "tent safe" catalytic propane and a small electric heater.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

thanks.  so the white trim ring goes on the inside of the boat (with silicone), the metal goes inside that, from the top, with silicone?  i just don't want to screw this up!

Ron Hill

Becki : The white/clear silicone I was talking about is around each screw on the OUTSIDE of the two pieces of the 4" Vetus dorade.  One piece holds the dorade to the molded piece on the deck and the other piece is a ring that holds the TOM "horn" on that other piece. 

There is a trim ring on the inside overhead just so it looks nice - no need for any caulk on it!

Clear as mud??
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

anaisdog

and good gravy, would it have killed vetus to send installation instructions????

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on August 01, 2014, 01:24:17 PM
Stu, or anyone else, what would you bed this vent with, in the cabin and on top?  butyl?  silicone?  4200?  something else?  you just list sealant, in the article  thanks

I used silicone when I did that article, but would use butyl now.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

k, good.   i just ordered my first (two) rolls of butyl last night.  do you just put it around the screws and then the outside of the vent?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on August 03, 2014, 07:09:26 AM
k, good.   i just ordered my first (two) rolls of butyl last night.  do you just put it around the screws and then the outside of the vent?

Yes, assume you're familiar with Maine Sail's website tutorial on how to "Bed It With Butyl."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

anaisdog

Stu Jackson

mregan

I used butyl on everything.  I had to replace one of the mushroom caps this spring.  I used butyl on that then used butyl on the dorade base to deck connection and butyl on the dorade to the base connection.