loran

Previous topic - Next topic

garyw

Hi

Going through the old electronics on my boat and saw an old apelco loran dxl .   Before I disconnect it and toss it,  is there any reason for me to hold on to it.    It think I know what people are going to say but just want to be sure. 

Thanks

Gary W
Summer Wind
Catalina 34  1986

Ron Hill

Gary : Toss it!! or send it to a Museum!!

The USCG has stopped maintaining and the stations have stopped transmitting!!

Too bad, it won't even make a good anchor!!
Ron, Apache #788

Les Luzar

I threw mine out so long ago, I can't even remember. Toss it and don't look back! :shock:
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

lazybone

Is Canada still using loran?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Dave Spencer

Canada doesn't use Loran any more to my knowledge.  All loran transmissions on the great lakes were stopped several years ago.   This was widely announced on the continuous marine broadcasts from the CCG.  I'm 99.9% certain that all Atlantic, Pacific and Arctic stations have also been decommissioned.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Fred Koehlmann

Confirmed, Canada no longer uses Loran C. Here is an except from "http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/eng/Ccg/atn_Notices":

In January 2010, both the Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) and the United States Coast Guard (USCG) announced the termination of the Loran-C signal.

The USCG terminated the transmissions of all U.S. domestic Loran-C signals including those covering the Great Lakes on February 8, 2010.

On August 3rd, 2010, the CCG and USCG jointly terminated the Loran-C service covering the East and West coasts of Canada.

Mariners are advised that LoranC service is no longer available and therefore cannot be used for navigation.

I still have some old Georgian Bay charts with colourful lines all over it. They're not much use, although I guess the rocks haven't moved. :D
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Stu Jackson

I'm kicking myself for ripping mine out and throwing it away.

Notice, those are two steps.

I don't regret removing it and its antenna.

I do regret throwing it away, since it would have been right at home with my transistor radio, tube TV and Model T Ford in my Museum of Fascinating Electrical Gadgets Invented and Actually Used by Humans Before the iPad.

They are inventing a new loran system.  The old one was C this one will be E.  Oh, No, E over high C!!!   :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

I still have my Radio Direction Finder somewhere in my hoard.

I'm thinking it might come in handy some day if I have to find other survivors of the zombie apocalypse.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677