Fold out counter

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

I am wondering how many people use the fold out counter to the left of galley sinks. I am toying with the idea of removing and making a teak trash receptacle in its place. I suppose it's a personal choice, as I am cooking and preparing meals, I like having trash within arms reach. Thus far, one of the two sinks has been the receptacle and I would like to get away from that.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Steve W10

Obviously that's a person preference, but I've found the only time I actually remember to use it is after my counter is full of crap, and I'm thinking "damn, I wish I had more counter space!".  Then that extra little square foot puts a big smile on my face. :D

patrice

Hi,
We actually use it very often.  While preparing meals, it is being used.
When doing the dishes, we put a 'dish mat' and put the cleaned dishes on it while cleaning the rest.

For the trash can, we have one with a top lid that is being put under the nav table.  When we prepare meal, we just put it by the end of counter, close by when needed.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Set2sea

Patrice, that sounds like a good system you have. I use under nav station for the beer cooler; when running down from the cockpit, I don't like digging in the ice box for a beer.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Kevin Henderson

Crazy... but your question just inspired an idea. :o

What if you keep the little fold out counter as it is.  Cut a hole in the center of the fold out counter and on the underside, devise a means to hang one of those plastic grocery bags (or even a small container).  Then when you are prepping in the galley and need to get rid of trash, you can pop open the lid to the trash (or leave it open) and toss it out of the way.  Then when you need the additional counter space, simply leave the removable lid in place. Best of both worlds possibly. 
Just my take on the idea :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau