metal fuel bowl for Racor 500 MA

Previous topic - Next topic

KINGAIR350

Question ...... I'm planning on a primary fuel filter, Racor 500 ma series upgrade. Is it required to have the metal heat bowl? I've seen installations where they have been omitted , and even the ones that are , the USCGAux.(NOLA) have given them the thumbs up and have not flagged no bowl install , any input would be great.

Regards,
Kevin

mainesail

There are no "metal bowl police" that will get you but the current safety standards require the filter to meet fire testing. The Racor with metal bowl meets all current safety standards and the non-metal bowl does not. Some insurance surveyors will flag them, some will not....

I currently have a used 500 and 900 that were removed due to insurance surveys. They were old enough that a metal bowl kit was not available so I now use them in my portable polishing kit. Insurance companies are getting pretty picky on what they want and more and more surveyors are playing a CYA game in this litigious society.

There are thousands of the standard ones out there in use but if I had to buy a new one I'd get the MA (metal heat shield) or the MAM series (metal bowl) as the price is not that much different.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

KINGAIR350

Mainesail,
Thanks for the input !
Regards

Ken Juul

I have the racor that uses the size 24 spin on filter with the plastic bowl on the bottom.  Are you saying that the USCG has changed the rules on the plastic bowls for diesel fuel?  I know plastic has been a no go for gas systems.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Clay Greene

Just had our boat surveyed by a NAMS surveyor in June and it has the Racor 500MA with the plastic bowl and it was not noted to be an issue.  Just replaced the filter on it yesterday, in fact. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Kent & Jane Overbeck

From what I can tell, the MA series has a plastic bowl with, I assume a metal heat shield.  It is the MAM series that has the metal bowl.  Mainsail, would you please confirm the one you are recommending.  I would think the plastic would be nice as you can see into it for any water.

Thanks,  Kent

mainesail

ABYC H-33

All individual components of the fuel system, as installed in the boat, shall be capable of withstanding a 2-1/2 minute exposure to free burning fuel (N-Heptane), or No. 2 diesel fuel without leakage, when tested in accordance with Title 33 CFR, Section 183.590, Fire Test.

The only filter in the Racor 500 line that meets the ABYC/CFR standard is the 500MAM which is a full metal bowl filter. If you have a USCG inspected vessel you are and will be required to have the MAM version. We just went though this with the re-certs on our yacht clubs launches. The 500MA, which each launch used, was simply not acceptable to the USCG inspectors. We were also not allowed to "retrofit" a metal bowl to a 500MA the USCG / CFR requirements are that teh filter be "factory made" / tested.....

The 500MA has a heat shield bowl and meets the UL burn requirements.

The 500FG has no heat shield and meets neither UL or ABYC/CFR.

If you want to install a 500FG or 500MA the easiest bet is to technically install it "outside" the engine bay. Surveyors are pretty loose with what constitutes an engine bay....

I see very, very, very few boats or builders who use the 500MAM. Lots use the 500MA and none install the 500FG's any longer... I use the MA filter on our boat because I want to see the fuel and the heat shield certainly helps it meet UL level standards. The ABYC/CFR standards are a few hundred degrees hotter that the UL requirement.....
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Solstice

Quote from: mainesail on October 29, 2013, 01:31:05 PM
ABYC H-33

All individual components of the fuel system, as installed in the boat, shall be capable of withstanding a 2-1/2 minute exposure to free burning fuel (N-Heptane), or No. 2 diesel fuel without leakage, when tested in accordance with Title 33 CFR, Section 183.590, Fire Test.

The only filter in the Racor 500 line that meets the ABYC/CFR standard is the 500MAM which is a full metal bowl filter. If you have a USCG inspected vessel you are and will be required to have the MAM version. We just went though this with the re-certs on our yacht clubs launches. The 500MA, which each launch used, was simply not acceptable to the USCG inspectors. We were also not allowed to "retrofit" a metal bowl to a 500MA the USCG / CFR requirements are that teh filter be "factory made" / tested.....

The 500MA has a heat shield bowl and meets the UL burn requirements.

The 500FG has no heat shield and meets neither UL or ABYC/CFR.

If you want to install a 500FG or 500MA the easiest bet is to technically install it "outside" the engine bay. Surveyors are pretty loose with what constitutes an engine bay....

I see very, very, very few boats or builders who use the 500MAM. Lots use the 500MA and none install the 500FG's any longer... I use the MA filter on our boat because I want to see the fuel and the heat shield certainly helps it meet UL level standards. The ABYC/CFR standards are a few hundred degrees hotter that the UL requirement.....

FWIW, Catalina now uses the MAM UL metal bowl Racors out of the factory and places them outside of the engine space in a dedicated locker. Given the filter is not in the engine space and I want to be able to inspect the fuel visually, I replaced with a clear bowl and will reinstall the metal bowl if an insurance survey ever requires it. Unfortunately they are not 500 series, but the 200 series spin on versions. I assume Catalina is now installing the MAM versions for ABYC and Ocean ratings??