Starting my XP 25 diesel

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

I have a 1988 C34 with the xp 23 hp diesel. It has 1100 miles on it and runs great when running. It has the solenoid boost system as described in the notes on this site. Recently when I go to start, after waiting a time, the motor starts on only one or 2 cylinders then thumps along a few seconds (anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds)  and finally all 3 kick in.
I have tried holding the glow plug button longer or shorter and it still does it. Even after running if I stop and then restart it sometimes does this.
Ideas on where to start on a fix?

Craig Illman

Terry - I had a similar symptom. I believe one of my glow plugs was burned out. If you plan on replacing them, go for the Kubota replacements. Don't spend the outrageous dollars getting them from a Universal distributor. They draw 7-8 amps each. If you can get an amp reading, you'll know for sure.

I assume you mean 1100 hours? You might also be due for a valve adjustment.

Craig

Ron Hill

Terry : I agree with Greg.  Go to your Kubota dealer and get 3 new glow plugs they are about $13 each.

Also I'd guess that you might have a couple of cylinders with bad compression.  If you can get one cylinder to "light" the others should immediately follow suit if you have good compression - the nature of a diesel!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Terry - $6.72 + S&H at http://sparkplugs.com/results_cross.asp?pid=Y103V&x=49&y=17

A set cost me $33.65 in December. It depends how convenient a Kubota dealer is or how many days away you are from PA where tractorsmart.com is.

Craig

Stu Jackson

I, too, had to find a Kubota dealer close by.  See: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3133.0.html

I found them by Googling Kubota and from their website found the dealers.

Always nice to know you can find a less expensive method of purchasing parts.

Good luck, Terry, sounds like an easy fix.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Terry Forshier

Found the Kabota dealer in Naples and picked up the glow plugs. After making a quick job into a long job I finally got ther glo plugs in and the engine started right up. Big difference.
For the record the glo plugs location on the engine make it nearly impossible to get a wrench on them . Then the clearance between the top of the plug where the round nut screws on i not sufficient to install the nuts when the plug is in. Took forever to get them out and new ones in and the wires that link them on. need smaller tools and hands.

Craig Illman

Terry - If memory serves me correctly, I have a 12mm deep socket. I still need to loosen, but not necessarily remove, the intake manifold to get out the glow plug for cylinder two.

Glad for you it was the relatively inexpensive solution to your starting issue.

Craig

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Terry Forshier on April 01, 2008, 02:28:49 PM
After making a quick job into a long job I finally got their glow plugs in....
I love this quote; I thought I was the only one who had mastered the art of converting quick jobs into epics.  Glad to know I'm not alone!
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

jmnpe

After working on 5 boats of my own, and 5 years of working on other people's boats, I have concluded that there are no quick jobs on a boat  :?. Have I missed something???

John
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

Craig Illman

John - I don't think so. It seems to take five times as long as it should and costs ten times as much as it ought to. But if it didn't, where would the satisfaction be?  :think

Craig

Joe Kern

I would add "and always more than one trip to WM than anticipated."

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Stu Jackson

Silly me, I always thought that the idea was to spend as MUCH time on the boat as possible! :appl
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

ON the boat... not necessarily INSIDE the boat ;)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA