Riggers in SF Bay?

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Allen

Hello all,

We're looking at getting our C34 re-rigged in the next few months here in SF (Richmond)  It still has the origonal 1988 standing rigging and it's time to get it replaced.  I've looked at KKMI and a few others and I wanted to get some local opinions on who is the best rigger to use and who to avoid.  You cam PM me or email me (sailorick@sbcglobal.net) if you like.

Thanks in advance!

Rick
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

Stu Jackson

Hi, Rick.  On the general Activities portion of this message board (Click on General Activities to the left of Message Board at the top and scroll down to Fleet 1), you'll find a post on California Vendors that a member suggested we post a few years ago.  It's here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1947.0

It doesn't have any riggers unfortunately.  Being up in Richmond, you're close to KKMI which has a reputation for very good work.  Others in the City have used SF Boat Works, but that's a long haul for you.  I used Mariner Boatyard in Alameda for rigging and was very disappointed, although I like their haul and bottom work.  Svendsen's in Alameda also has a good reputation.  They did my C25 years ago and were good.  Some I know have gone to the Napa Marina for bottom jobs, but I don't know if they do rigging.  The reason they went is that they liked the weather up there  :D  A perusal of Latitude 38 will turn up a few more yards, isn't Richmond Boat Works also up your way?.

It'd be great if you could keep your responses on the board here, rather than email or PMs, so we all can learn.  I'll cross reference this thread to the Fleet One vendors post.

Good luck and please keep us informed.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rirvine

Rick:

I have used Hansen Rigging to check and adjust my rigging and was very happy with them - came when they said they would, knew what they were doing, and did not charge an arm and a legs.

Other in SBH have used South Beach Riggers and have been happy as far as I know.

Ray

Rick Allen

Thanks Stu and Ray for your unlimited knowledge!

That vendors list is a very good resource, as a matter of fact, we used Mr. Minkwitz for our purchase survey a few years back.  (I think I have a picture of him at the top of the mast while the boat was on the hard!)

He noted in that survey that the standing rigging although origonal, show no signs of distress, but should be replaced just because it's past it's normal life. PainKiller spent most of her life up in Stockton away from the salt air back then so changing it wasn't a priority.  We slid through last year, but I'm not hot to risk it again this year.  Besides the insurance company wants it replaced anyway.

KKMI seems to be the best bet for us (location wise). But I didn't want to throw money at them without some input from the experts on the board!

Thanks again!

Rick
www.painkillersailing.com
www.fotki.com/sailorick

dave davis

Rick,
I had my rigging redone two years ago by South Beach Riggers. They have a shop at South Beach and at Sausalito. At the time I got three bids. Swansens, Hansen and S Beach. All three were fairly close or within $200 of each other. Make sure they all are bidding on the same details. Things like what turnbuckle,(bronze,stainless,plated, or Garhauer with covers). Check for new large spreader pads, chain plate rebeded. Type 316 wire rope, cost more than Type 304. And make sure you talk about the retuning, both static and on the water. The tuning was a big deal for me because I race the boat all winter and all summer. Very important to have it tuned proporly. I went with SBRiggers and they did all the work at my slip without having to take the boat anywhere.
It came to about $2500 plus a few extras I had them do.
Good Luck,
Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Rick Allen

Thanks Dave for your input, I was just getting ready to email you for your opinion!  KKMI and Svendsens are around the same price but we haven't nail down the particulars yet.

I'm assuming that if SBRiggers did the work at your slip, then they did not pull your mast.  With KKMI, I motor over from Marina Bay, they yank the mast, and I motor back to my slip and return in a week.

The biggest issue will be if we order the new Hood drum to replace the origonal continuous line stock furler or just bite the bulllit and pop for whole new unit.

Fun Fun Fun!

Thanks again!

Stu Jackson

Rick, there are advantages and disadvantages of having your stick pulled.  I faced the same issues when we had our rigging replaced a few years ago.  Initially, I was against it.  Eventually, I found it to be a very good idea.  i was able to clean up and wax the mast, paint those areas that needed it, eliminate the corrosion all over from the stainless on the mast, check the spreaders, improve the connections of the flag lines on the spreaders, change the anchor light to a Davis mega light and all sorts of other things.  The one thing I forgot was to change the sheaves for the halyards, which ought to be done on a boat of our "vintage" anyway.  Get 'em from Garhauer.  There's much to be done and that can be done with the mast out.  While you're at it you can work on the boom, too.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."