New boat glitches

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne

This weekend I had a second hose blow off a fitting of my pressurized water system on my two month old boat.  I know this is a much-mentioned problem on new boats.  I spent about an hour with a ratchet going through and snugging all the hose clamps I could find, including one that was completely loose (as in no effort ever made to tighten.  Fortunately, it was on the suction side of the shower sump  pump).  I have a couple of questions.

1.  I know I should check out my fuel tank fittings.  Do I need to disassemble my aft cabin to do this, or is there an easier way?  I started to remove the port side wooden panel (footboard?); found that I evidently needed to remove the rear panel also, and am unsure if I need to also remove the white cover over the steering mechanism.  Please tell me there is an easier way to make such a simple inspection!!!!

2.  Are there any other things that I should be checking on?  Workmanship shortcomings that Catalinas are particularly prone to?  I already know about the sticky hatch slider (mine sticks when cold) and coolant level going down (mine is fine).

Thanks for the advice.  And I'd like to add my appreciation for how much I have learned over the past months just 'lurking' and reading posts.  The information I have gleaned has made 'settling in' on my new boat so much easier!
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Ron Hill

Wayne : Sorry to hear that you're having problems.  I'd definitely express my dissatisfaction to both the dealer and the factory.

To answer your question on inspecting the fuel connections.  You should be able to get at those connections by removing the port side aft cabin panel.  To get that panel off you shouldn't have to remove the "dog house" covering the steering or the aft panel.  Personally, I'd get the dealer to take that panel off so you can check the connections.
(You MIGHT be able to get to those fuel connection if you have a Beckson port in the floor of the port side lazerette.) 

Guess that I'm of the age when you might get an auto built on a Monday (by all the new guys).  The first thing that I did back in 1988 was check EVERY clamp and connection - it was a 1/2 day preflight!! 
Sorry for your bad luck.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788