Replacing Zincs

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Blizard

Ron, I cannot find anything on the project lists about replacing zincs.  Perhaps it is hidden somewhere in another post?, Lee

Stu Jackson

Lee

see:  http://c34.org/faq-pages/faq-zinc.html

They were in FAQs.

Like the writers of encyclopedias, many of us just can't remember where we put stuff.

So, like all good encyclopedias, we have an INDEX, which consist of the two search engines discussed in a recent post; one for ther main 'site, the other for this message board (called - "Find").

If you're looking for something, just use the search engines, they're a lot more reliable than our memories!  :)

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lee Blizard

Thanks, Ron, that is just what we needed.  We are off to Sears to get another set of wrenches. Our boat is a 2001, kept on a lift, has been maintained beautifully here in Punta Gorda, FL. and is up for sale.  We are asking $106,900 which I can't seem to get the "For Sale" people to change on this site.  Anyway, the boat is like new, we love her but have decided to do a lot of traveling and won't be able to sail. Thanks, Lee

Jim "SV Ohana"

Lee,
I also live in Punta Gorda. We have the Catalina 34 "Ohana" parked on Nighthawk. I've changed the engine Zinks several times. If I can be of anyhelp, please contact me.
Jim

Stu Jackson

Just a reminder: the "engine" zincs are not on the engine, they are on the heat exchanger.

A search on the website AND a separate Find on this message board on "heat exchangers" would "uncover" lots of discussions for your reading pleasure! :)

There are essentially two different heat exchangers (HX).  The older M25 engines have the 2 inch model, which takes a 00 zinc.  The newer engines have the larger HX which takes a larger zinc.

Some of us have upgraded th old 2 inch HX on our M25 to the newer 3 inch HX.  I have and I know for sure Dave Aucella's #247, formerly Samantha Jean, now Bandaloop, had also upgraded.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Jim "SV Ohana"

Think ours is the 3 inch version.  When I first replaced the zink, I took the end off the heat exchanger as there were pieces of zink up in the hole I couldn't get out.  AFter taking it appart, discovered a star shaped flange that will only allow a 1 inch zink to be installed.  Means you have to cut about an inch off the boatstore sized zink.  So I have several precut and ready to go and check/replace every quarter or so.  I know I read in the forum about cutting the zink off, just don't remember where.
Jim

John Langford

Does the end gasket on the heat exchanger survive removal and reftting of the end fitting?

Cheers,
John
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

tsoko

John,
Yes, it does.  It's a fairly robust piece of rubber.  Always a good idea to have a few around as spares, but I have removed and reinstalled mine a few times with no problems.

DavidComando

Hi John,
Due to a overheating problem when pushing the engine over 2200 rpms last season, I had my 2" heat exchanger boiled out. An oversized fitting was welded  on so I could use stock zincs. The problem I ran into was having an air block, which cleared itself after repeated restarts with cooling in between. Another problem occurred later when the fan belt sliced into the coolant hose. There I go again having to drain the antifreeze for the second time, installing a new hose (tomorrow) and following Ron Hill's info from the FAQ's on releasing the air block with a suction pump. Wish me luck!
Dave
Kindred Spirit #55

Stu Jackson

Dave

The upgrade to the 3 inch HX is probably the only thing that Al didn't do!  :)

I wrote this on the old list a few years ago, for those of you with 2 inch HXs.  I swapped mine out last September 2003 for the three inch.

Here’s some input for those of you with two inch heat exchangers on older engines.

It was a beautiful day a few Sundays ago for sail. Turned out to be not so good when the
motor overheated.  It's been running cool, at about 160F, for over two years after my last
HX clean out.  I turned the engine off and sailed back into my slip with the jib only for the very first time!  Good practice for when you need it.  I turned the motor on and left it
running in neutral for the last few yards just in case, but I did it!  Whee...  I keep changing
the zincs regularly, once every couple of months, whether they seem to need it or not, to
keep the sacrificial crud from dropping off into the HX.  We have the M25 engine with the
two inch HX.

So, I checked the intake strainer (it was full of grass for the first time ever).  The engine still ran hot (in reverse at 1500 rpm tied to the dock).  I changed the raw water impeller - it’s easy when you have an already made backup shaft and impeller ready to go.  I motored
out from the slip, but it still ran hot, so I sailed back into the slip AGAIN!

So I took the dang HX off. There was some crud at the zinc end (you know, the end with
NO access hole - always has been a poor design), but I had fun breaking down the larger
pieces of salt crud and getting them to drop out so it didn't sound like a mariachi band
when I shook it!

It turns out the raw water OUTLET tube of the HX was blocked about 75% of its diameter.
Even with a regular (every two or three months) change out of the zinc, it was THE OTHER
END THAT BUILT UP with stuff that caused the overheat.

Lovely day in the bowels of the boat, but the only good part is that I've got the HX removal,
cleaning and replacement down to an art form!

MORAL OF THE STORY: simply changing zincs out isn’t the cure: CHECK THE OTHER
END!

I never had to boil out the old HX because the tubes were fine once I got the mariachi band stuff out and knocked the other end crud off.

Great to hear from you, Dave, hope you're having a great season so far.

Stu

DavidComando

Hi Stu,
I enjoyed 2 care free seasons due to Al's diligence in maintaining Kindred Spirit. I also am getting pretty good working upside down as I will be replacing the coolant hose a 2nd time! I put in a automotive type wire hose, and I don't like the way it makes the turns. I bought a marine exhaust wire hose, it makes necessary turns w/o kinking. Live and learn. Hope your having a great season.
Dave
Kindred Spirit #55