Water in the hull

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapparee

Related to the cracking above my shaft strut, I drilled a hole about seven inches forward of the rudder in the bottom and drained about a quart or more of water out.  Can't seem to find where this could get in, and it was very clean. Any ideas?

Stu Jackson

The first place to star would be:

http://c34.org/faq-pages/techdata-rudder-packing-gland.html

Then check the Tech Notes Index for Rudder, like, as in, water in rudder.

I recall lots of discussions on this topic, also in FAQs.  This is an old subject, but, I know :), NEW to you.

Stu

Find: in message board
SEARCH: in main website
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mark Cassidy

The water was not in the rudder but in the hull.  Seven inches forward of the rudder.

Mark

Ray & Sandy Erps

Mark,
Did the hole you drilled go all the way through the boat?  There is a spot aft of where the propellor shaft goes through the hull that collects water on the inside of the boat.  I've seen a few posts about that.  I think one fella's solultion was to pour some resin in there to fill up the low spot.  If the hole didn't go all the way through the boat, that would indicate a pocket between the laminate that is holding a lot of water and it seems that would be an area of concern.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

rappareems

Ron,

Is there anywhere that I could find a schematic of the "skag" indentation to which your refer? I drilled into the area app. halfway between the shaft strut and the end of the bottom of the hull before you reach the rudder.

Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

rappareems

Ron,

I found your schematic of the Rudder packing gland.  I am sure that is not anywhere near where I drilled, it was not on the rudder itself which we worked on last year.

Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

The "skag" indentation that I think Ron is referring to is directly below the large opening under the aft berth cushions.

It's an indentation in the hull, right on the centerline, about two feet aft of the shaft log and the shaft to the packing gland.

Almost all (older?) C34s have that little "pit" where water seems to get trapped.  It's only a few ounces of water.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

Gentlemen -

Do you mean "skeg"? I have never had a "skag" on my boat!

Happy Halloween!

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

John Gardner

You could easily prove the point whether or not you have drilled through by opening the main floor panel under the aft bunk, reaching in and pouring some water into the indentation.  (Of course you'd need someone outside to see if it comes out, unless you can move like greased lightning!)

John Gardner, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

RV61

I did not drill in front but found a  the leak small hole 7 inches forward of the rudder post and aft of the log in center line. I found small crack  aft of the strut on the outside part of the hull  (that kinda squared off part Sorry I do not know the technical name). I am try to determine if the water entered elseware last year and the freezing winter caused the crack and subsequent leak. Mark it sounds like I have posssibly the same problem you had  with water in the hull. What did you end up doing? It appears I will be gringing out and re glassing as well as finding the cause. Any one else experinced this problem.
Thanks Rick

Ray & Sandy Erps

Rick,

The strut that the prop shaft goes through is bolted to the boat.  Afterwards, they smeared some fairing compound around the bolted on structure so it blends in with the hull.  Could the crack you see be a crack in the fairing compound?  I can't imagine the hull cracking, especially in that area.  It's built up pretty thick down there and any impact great enough to crack the hull would have been remembered and probably would have left you with no rudder or strut.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

RV61

Ray,
Thanks for the reply. The crack is aft of the
strutt on what I believe is called a skeg? I wonder if this skeg is hollow inside and how water enter there from some where else. I aggree with that any impact would have done more damage like you say the rudder would have hade to be gone. I had the boat pulled and surveyed before I bought last year and no mention of other damage and I did not hit anything last year. This leads be to think water got in there and froze which expanded and cracked it. I will check inside to see if I see
the bolts for the strut and water seeping there but I think the water would have had to travel uphill to get to the skeg.
Thanks  
Rick

Ted Pounds

Water can collect inside the skeg.  I filled mine with foam 2 years ago to keep any water out.  The cavity is tapered toward the bottom so I don't think ice would cause damage since any ice block (wedge really) would tend to force itself out and relieve the pressure.  But you never know...

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

BellWell

Ijust read that Rick V 1986 #237 had a crack in the skeg. I have very recently discovered a crack about 4" forward of the aft edge of the skeg on my 2001 #1579 "BellWell 11". I'm about to put her in the water, and need to know how to proceed? The crack runs vertically for about 3" on both sides, but is very shallow. I'd appreciate help Thanks Joan

RV61

Joan,
The cracks on my 86 were in same location however they ran horizontally. After speaking to Kent at Catalina in tech support and my yard we first drilled into the skeg at the bottom to drain out the water. Around a gallon of water came out. They yard then V out the fiberglass along the crack. Then let it dry out several days. They used a heat lamp to move this along. Then the yard filled the Skeg with some foam. They also opened up the glass from inside where the leak was. They will patch up using I thinks some stuff called marine tech? I will be speaking to the yard to see what they discovered caused the water to get there in the first place. I believe it to be the rudder post from a grounding by the PO or the strut bolts. Catalina thought those would be the logical choices as well.
The great thing about these boats is everything can be fixed.