Complete Fuel Filtration - Another Little Story

Previous topic - Next topic

sail4dale

Having had a major shutdown on my CAt 30 because of the pikup tube screen, I advise everyone to remove it PERIOD.

It seems that I heard that Catalina was no longer putting that !@#$%$% screen in anymore.  Can anyone comfirm that and when did they quit?

Stu Jackson

It seems that I heard that Catalina was no longer putting that !@#$%$% screen in anymore. Can anyone comfirm that and when did they quit?

1992 as previously posted somewhere here or in the tech notes.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Sorry to dig up an old and "dirty" topic, BUT...

While motoring out to the race course last Sunday, the engine RPM's started to drop and then the engione completely quit...Sounded like another fuel starvation/clogged filter issue so I dove down and replaced my 2 micron Racor...

A few minutes later I turned on the ignition, and heard the clicking of the electric fuel pump...After 30 seconds or so, I still didn't have fuel in the bottom of the filter bowl (filter was not getting fuel)...

At this point I figured that I must have a blockage in the tank line, so I took the tank line loose from the Racor and blew back into the tank; line seemed clear...

I reattached all hoses and let the electric pump run for 10-12 minutes, still no fuel gettting to filter...My guess was that the electric pump diaphram was bad...

Since I didn't have a spare pump, we forgot about the engine problem and went racing...Got a tow back to the docks from a fellow racer...

A few days later I bought the NAPA 610-1051 pump (cost was $31 and change, not $34 and change like I stated in other post), and headed back to the boat...Before ripping out the old pump, I figured it was worth a 15 minute effort to reroute the fuel lines and check the existing elect pump...I hooked the elect pump directly to the fuel tank, and pumped into a bucket...I turned on the key and the pump was working perfectly...Obviously the pump was not our problem...

I then tried to blow into the Racor filter inlet, and couldn't...I removed the brand new filter and tried again, I still could not blow into the inlet...I removed the Racor filter housing from the bulhead, removed the plastic screw over the inlet passage, and discovered the inlet check valve was jammed full of growth/crud...

I spent about 20 minutes cleaning up the inlet passage, check valve ball, and air bleeder screw passage and reinstalled...

After turning on the ignition, the filter completely filled within seconds, and the engine was completely bled in less than a minute...Engine fired up and ran fine...

Lesson learned...When dealing with the fuel system (and possible dirty fuel), don't forget to clean out the inlet passages/check valve in the Racor filter unit!!!

Tom P.

PAUL T.

Tom....Your dilema is a great reason to have one of those inexpensive automotive fuel filters as a prefilter. A clear one would be preferable.   Just a thought....... PAUL.

John Gardner

To take us back to the first article in this thread:  Stu, why did you say one should not use the bottom drain of the transmission?  I've been goood - tried the searches, but couldn't find anything about not using it.

John Gardner, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

Stu Jackson

John

The reason is that there is a stainless bolt in an aluminum housing.  Rather than hassling with the conditions that would be expected with that mix of materials, and worrying about the damage that could be caused by future leaks, just use the top.

I believe this was written up in the Tech Notes and also repeated on the board by Ron.

Stu

[correction: 6/11 --- it's a crush washer which needs to be replaced, don't use the old one or it'll leak]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Leo Missler

Kar,
D.
id you use the 3 injectors you mentioned you bought from Carver Equipment in July?
If not I may want to buy them from you.
Leo Missler  Dutch Lion
E-mail   Dutchlion1@aol.com

Jkar

Leo, no I do not have them, shipped them back, no re-stocking charge :).  They were ~50/piece, just call Carver Equipment and ask for Parts.  They will get you squared away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leo Missler:
Kar,
D.
id you use the 3 injectors you mentioned you bought from Carver Equipment in July?
If not I may want to buy them from you.
Leo Missler  Dutch Lion
E-mail   Dutchlion1@aol.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BillR

My 1989 is connected with the pump before the filter so I can see that I have a little work to do.  I experienced the clogged fuel tank screeen and have removed it.  I also had the fuel and tank cleaned.  Even though I have used treatment for the fuel and have tried to maintain the fuel level, there was a tremendous sediment buildup over 13+ years, particularly in a hot climate.  I recommend that when your cleaning up the filtration system you also clean the tank.

SailDan

"When did Catalina discontinue putting screens on the fuel tank up-take hose?"
Catalina continued to put screens on the fuel up-take hose of at least some C-34s through 1994. Weal Sea #1289 (1994) had a screen on her fuel tank up-take hose which plugged during our passage from the Apostle Islands, Wisconsin in Lake Superior to Chicago in 2000.  Removal of the screen seem to solve the problem.
However, during 2002 we had problems again during our circumnavigation of Lake Michigan... more crud in the fuel tank which plugged the Racor filter. I finally pulled the fuel tank myself this spring before leaving on our North Channel trip and had it steam cleaned. The tank is not difficult to remove and the job can be done in an afternoon.  
Dan

[This message was edited by Dan Harrington, #1289, 1994, "Weal Sea" on December 11, 2003 at 09:49 AM.]

Gene Regan

Go to home depot or sears and buy a strap wrench , these days they are sold about everywhere and the work great on alot of things on the boat .
Gene Regan

gene regan

Stu Jackson

Filter Wrenches

Vic

You'll also need a smaller one for your secondary fuel filter on the engine.  In addition to Gene's idea about a strap wrench, you might want to consider a regular metal filter wrench in a smaller size, so I have two onboard, one for the oil filter and the smaller one for the fuel filter.  I found that the solid smaller filter wrench was quite useful in getting to the fuel filter on the engine.  Also, when you reinstall your Racor, don't use the wrench to tighten it.  You should be able to get it snug by hand and it isn't going to go anywhere.

Stu

scotty

I spent about two hours today taking out the screen at the tank intake.  The good news is that the job was really easy, just took some time and effort.  The bad news was that the screen had already been taken out by a previous owner!  OK, it's not really bad news.  So ... I wrote on the side of the tank that the screen had been taken out.  I also put a sticker on the bulkhead so that it is visible when the wood pannel is still on.  I also put a note to that effect on the engine manual.  That way, some owner down the line will know that he/she dosen't have to do it.
Scotty

Ron Hill

Scotty : All was not lost !!  There have been some C34 owners that have found the screen had fallen out of the 3/8" hose on the end of the tubular pick up.
I've also heard from others that found the flexable hose on the end was missing - that's BAD news.  Without that flexable hose that lies in the bottom, all of the crud will build up until it reaches the metal pick up tube and clogs the Racor fuel filter all at once !!  Engine STOPS

So consider youself as doing a great service to keep you engine humming.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

Yep, it was worth the time.  Thanks for the encouragement, Ron.  I'm in engine mode right now.  I am happy to find that my route is correct (tank, filter, pump).  The next thing is to replace the filters.  I've bought new ones, and am ready to get them done.  My water pump shows signs of water leakage (some corrosion), but I ran the engine for about 1/2 hour at the dock (in gear) and didn't see any leakage.  Also there seeems to be no new leakage since I painted the engine a couple of months ago.  Perhaps those seals have been replaced?  Some of the hoses seem new (like the ones going to and from the water heater), but others are obviously old.  I've got to figure which to replace. I've been using PB Blaster on the stuffing box, and am getting ready to do that too.   At some point I'll get all that stuff done so that I'm starting out with the engine in good shape.  One step at a time.
Scotty