Marine pressure washer

Previous topic - Next topic

dpenz

Is there such a thing as a pressure washer especially designed for marine duty?  It would  operate from 120Vac shore power (<12-15A), have reasonably low pressure for safe deck and hull cleaning, and would draw its water supply from the lake.  This would be a suction lift of about 5 feet.

Ted Pounds

David,

If you have AC shore power don't you have running water too?  That's the case with every marina I've been to.  I would think any pressure washer with a controllable output pressure would do.  That would allow you to set the appropriate pressure.  The folks in my marina who have pressure washers have convential ones bought at the hardware store, Home Depot or wherever.  If a washer reqired input pressure (i.e. you can't suck from the lake) that ought to be on the spec sheet.  Just some thoughts.

By the way, thanks for the O-rings.  Now I just have to get those little plugs out....

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

dpenz

Yup, there's a spigot for potable water right at my slip.  However, the marina doesn't allow this water to be used for boat washing, only for filling potable water tanks.

Stu Jackson

David

The following:

http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/11-99_Technotes.pdf

takes you to the Nov 1999 Tech Notes.

Ron Hill uses a bilge pump wired in.

If you need extra pressure, he mentions that the 3/4 inch outlet has quite a bit.

It seems that this may have the advantage of being able to be used when there is no shorepower, rather than tying yourself into something that can only be used at the dock.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

David,

Another option is to install a washdown pump on your boat.  I did it on mine.  I removed the macerator pump that empties the holding tank since I can't use it on the great lakes (you probably can't use it either where you are).   I replaced it with a Shur-Flo Blaster pump from Boat US.  I use the old exit Thru-hull for intake and plumbed from the pump to the anchor locker where I put the hose conection. I use it for washing the deck when I'm not at the slip.  It would probably be handy for you even without the pressure washer if you can't use marina water for wahdown.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

rwilkinsii

I would like to keep the macerator pump on my boat due to me being near the ocean. Is there anonther way to hook something like this up?? I can't get to the tech articles to see what you are suggesting. I would like to wash down my anchor due to high mud here in Galveston Bay. It gets real messy on the boat... :(

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

Ted Pounds

Rich,

I didn't write it up for Tech Notes, though I suppose I should.  Anyway there are a number of ways you can do it.  One option, if you don't want to deal with thru hulls is to mount the pump in or near the anchor locker.  Then you need a short length of hose  (ten feet?) to throw over the side for an intake. And another short length with a sprayer to hose down the mud.  I think the blaster pump I used needs to be protected from spray, etc so you'd need to cover it or somehow protect it.  Another option is to make the pump portable.  Mount it to a board or some such thing.  Then wire it to a 12 volt plug so you can plug it in near the anchor locker.  Then, same as above, you'll need some hose for intake and a sprayer.  Or you could still mount it below and 'T' it into an existing thru-hull, maybe even the macerator one.  Then you need to run some hose to an outlet in the anchor locke like I did.  I just opened up the wire chases and ran it up to and along the hull/deck joint.  It's easy to open up the wire chases by removing a few screws.  I imagine some other folks may have  other ways to rig a washdown system.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447