Engine Thermostat

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gardner

In the course of chasing down an overheating problem that began after the fan belt broke and was repaired, I decided to check whether the thermostat had failed.  One of the bolts sheared at the head, but I managed to get the housing off anyway, only to discover - no thermostat!  What was a load of trouble for nothing!  And the problem turned out to be an air lock in the water heater section.
But I'd like to put in a thermostat - does anyone have a part number?
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

Stu Jackson

Thermostat

John

This should help

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/universal/200157/

My records show this:

Thermostat   7/99   Universal 71C      $42.88Universal Kit 301358, Sea Power Part #200217

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

John Gardner

Thank you Stu.
As to the link, that's where I went first - but at the Torreson top level.  Something has changed there.  I couldn't get down to the operator's manual or the parts manual.  Your link gives me the former only.  I still can't see the parts manual.  However, your help should do the trick.
John
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

karista

John
You can buy the thermostat at about half the cost ($17.57)  directly from Kuboto.
p/n15531-73010 (180 degree)
p/n19203-73010 (160 degree)
p/n1576-73270  gasket

I have a 25XP and bought the 160 degree thermostat online at www.tractorsmart.com

Bernd Mueller

Mark Wey

On the topic of thermostats. I have a slightly different problem. I can't seem to get my M-35 up to operating temperature. It will max out at around 130 to 140. I am afraid that I am not getting cooling in all the required areas of the head and block. Now that I read this post I am starting to think that maybe I too have no thermostat. That would explain the lower temperature. I sail on the great lakes with water temperature in the 50 to 60 degree range. Any one else have this condition? I will be in touch with Westerbeke but am curious to know what others experience.

Ps This is my first year with this boat so I have no temperature history to go on.
Mark Wey
2004 C-36