leak aft berth

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

I can't seem to find a leak in the aft berth.  Has anyone else seen this?  I can't seem to find where it's leaking from either.  It doesn't do it all the time, but often enough.  the inside of the locker is dry
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

mdidomenico

i'm not sure why the pictures rotated in the message, but if you click on them they're right side up

Stu Jackson

You need to rebed/reseal the aft cockpit opening Beckson portlight.  Jeff Tancock had the same issue and we tracked it down.  I had the same issue and he saved me a lot of time looking.  Try that first before you go messing with the binnacle.  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

It looks like water is dripping from above the mirrored locker door. I would think the only way for water to get there would be from leaks at the winch bolts or the opening below the winch in the starboard cockpit coaming. Have you opened the deck plate in the aft cabin ceiling to see if it's wet in there? That's where you access one of the nuts for the winch. If it is wet check the winch bolt for tightness and the cockpit opening for proper sealant.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ted Pounds

I had an aft cabin leak that turned out to be coming from a crack in the scupper on the toerail.  They formed those scuppers without any glass reinforcing... :?  The water leaked there and then ran down the trim that covers the hull-deck joint.  So it wasn't obvious where it was coming from.  I fixed it with some glass and epoxy on the underside of the scupper.  I think there's an old thread about it on here somewhere...  Good luck.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Breakin Away

I had a leak in a similar place that was eliminated by re-sealing the LP storage locker above. Add that to your list if things to check.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Jeff Tancock

Yup......that's exactly where mine showed up.
Pop off the trim cover of the Beckson ports and load up the gap you will see with sealant. I used clear silicone.
To confirm I put a sheet of plywood over the ports during the winter rains (Pacific Northwest). That stopped the leaking and then I fixed it when the rains cleared.
Took me years to finally fix it as I tried many other things first.
Good luck!
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

mdidomenico

to update this thread a little, i managed to get down to the boat in the rain yesterday and have narrowed my leaks

first the big puddle isn't from the beckson ports.  it's apparently coming through the stearing pedestal guard holes in the cockpit floors and it's coming down the holes where the steering wires run through and go around the pulleys.  whether it's all connected or not i'm not sure, but it probably means i need to pull the pedestal and reseal it.  which also explains why during survey the cockpit floor reads wet with a moisture meter.  it's probably been seeping for some time.

second the water dripping down the locker is i believe coming from the forward most stanchion around the stern (there's probably nautical term, but i can't think of it)  if you look in the picture (and this is going to be hard to explain), this picture is if you open the locker, stick your head in and look straight up.  there is gap between the fascia of the locker and the cabin ceiling.  if you look slightly left of the screw there is a 90 degree bend in the laminate which i assume is the cockpit seat.  there is a minuscule crack/joint/something there and water is seeping through.  i've removed the starboard which and plugged the holes.  there are no other penetrations nearby except the stanchion.  i've popped the access plate in the cabin ceiling for the which bolts and everything looks dry.

i'm going to chalk the area and see if i can see water streaks