Boom Gooseneck

Previous topic - Next topic

Switchback

Ahoy all,

I've got a question about how the boom is supposed to be secured to the mast. The other day I was loosening the boomvang quite a bit and suddenly the boom just slid off the gooseneck! Upon closer inspection there is a hole in the front end of the boom and a thick metal "pin" on the end of the gooseneck with a washer on it. It looks like the boom just slid right off the "pin". Nothing looks damaged but I was wondering if this is how it is meant to be. Is there anything that is supposed to securely fasten the boom to the mast or does it just sit on this "pin"? Thanks! :)
S/V Switchback

Stu Jackson

From page 3 of the Critical Upgrades topic:

Gooseneck Failure

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7127.0.html

Also includes some ideas for improving the arrangement.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/957/gooseneck-casting-assy--c-28-c-30-c-34-c-36.cfm

Ken Heyman also reports tons of hits on a simple search on "gooseneck."

Also should read this gooseneck failure parallel thread:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7127.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

Stu's right as usual. Here's a link to some pics I took when I had my gooseneck apart.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7127.msg49169.html#msg49169

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Dave.  I just added your link to the Critical Upgrades post.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Switchback

Thanks guys! It just so happens that I recalled seeing that exact upgraded part onboard. I actually did find it last night. Looks as though the previous owner had the intention of installing it when he upgraded to a rigid vang but never got around to it. Saved once again by the PO!! I appreciate the help! Now to get the old cap off... Looks like there are no screws holding it on, but something I can only describe as two "rivets"? Any idea as to how to pop those off?
S/V Switchback

Dave Spencer

You may need to carefully drill the rivets out.  I've heard that the end cap can be a bear to remove from the boom.  I had no trouble but I'm in fresh water.  Since it sounds like you're putting an all new end cap on, you can be vicious removing the old one since you won't be reusing it.  Add a bit of Lanocote to the new end cap before reinstalling.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Switchback

So the new upgraded casting does not have the holes where the rivets should go through. Is it recommended to drill holes into the new casting and install a bolt all the way to the other side of the boom and secure with a washer and nut or am I to put in new rivets? Thanks for the help - total newbie here!
S/V Switchback

Craig Illman

I drilled out the rivet holes in my casting and tapped to hold 1/4-20 machine screws.

Craig

Jon W

When I upgraded to the new gooseneck, I cleaned the inside of the boom, then wiped the inside with lanacote then installed the new casting into the boom. Using the existing holes in the boom, I drilled pilot holes, then installed 4 self tapping SST round head sheet metal screws also coated with lanacote. The screw length was the thickness of the boom wall plus the casting wall thickness. I don't remember if I used #10 or #12. Whichever is maximum diameter to fit the holes in the boom.

If you try to install bolts through the boom and casting, before drilling holes into your new casting, make sure the holes in the boom line up side to side, and the holes will be above and below the pin housing.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Switchback

Thanks everyone! It's been a very busy week and I have not yet been able to get this project started. I've gone out and purchased all the necessary tools and hardware and will get working on this very soon. Looking forward to getting the upgraded part on and having a functional main again!
S/V Switchback

Switchback

UPDATE

I was able to finally get this project completed yesterday! Woohoo! I drilled out the rivets with a 1/4" drill bit and used a screw driver to push them out of the hole and into the inside of the boom. I then held a screwdriver against the end cap and banged the other end of the screwdriver with a rubber mallet to work the cap off. Don't forget to loosen the outhaul! This took a few minutes as there was a small bit of corrosion on the inside of the boom. I sanded this off and then applied a healthy layer of lanocote to the inside of the boom where the end cap sits. Then i removed the rigging from the end cap and spent quite a while trying to get the pin out that holds in the sheave. This was held on tight by lots of corrosion. I let it soak in a ton of WD40 then used a hammer to bang it out. Next I coated the new upgraded end cap with lanocote, slapped on the rigging (with a brand new sheave and pin) and used the rubber mallet to get the cap on the end of the boom. Then I pre-drilled the first screw hole which I ended up doing too small and it resulted in shearing the head off the machine screw. OOPS. removing this will be a project for later... I was able to get the rest of the 3 screws (which I also coated in lanocote) in without a problem by switching to a larger drill bit, just down 1 size from 1/4". I drilled the self tapping screw in slowly and backed them out a bit then screwed in further and repeated this until the screw was all the way through. I used pretty short 1/4" stainless steel screws and added nice wide washers as well. On one of the screw holes on the boom there was a pre-existing hairline crack. I figured the washer would help spread out the force a bit better. My surveyor said the crack should not be an issue in any case... This project took the afternoon and honestly there was only mild frustration. Very happy to have the boom operational once again! Thanks to everyone for the tips and assistance. It was incredibly helpful!
S/V Switchback