Air filter fill

Previous topic - Next topic

gwp

Need to replace the metal mesh filler in my breather and wondered what's wrong with using some ordinary fiberglass window screen. Just wad up a hand full and stuff in there? I have made a slip over foam outside filter.

KWKloeber

Kitchen cookware "scrubbies" -- the stainless-steel version, not the copper version.  Scotch Brite, Chore Boy, etc, brand.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

lazybone

Why not just buy a proper filter? 
You wouldn't ball up a bunch of crap and shove it in your car intake and call it a day.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

prh77

Mainesail's site and this one discuss a K+N air filter element. Did it on my old C34 and now have it on the C400. Works great.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

gwp

Stainless scrubbies (crap) worked perfect. Thanks for the help

KWKloeber

Quote from: gwp on March 13, 2016, 04:30:53 PM

:clap
Did you oil them (dust catcher)?   
Unnecessary if you have your crankcase vent hose routed to the air intake?  ( a must to reduce odor and bilge gunk.)

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

lazybone

Quote from: gwp on March 13, 2016, 04:30:53 PM

Stainless scrubby has no real filtering ability and if a piece of that stuff breaks off ...m

They used to use that stuff on gas engines to protect against backfiring flames through the carburetor.  Don't see how it makes any sense on a diesel?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

KWKloeber

Stainless scrubby has no real filtering ability and if a piece of that stuff breaks off ...

That's why the guts are oiled.  And there should be a stainless mesh screen in the bottom of the "container."
The whole unit is really no more than a noise attenuator -- think the air really needs 'filtering"? -- we're not on a dusty highway like an auto or in a field like a tractor.

k

lazybone

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 13, 2016, 05:10:10 PM
Stainless scrubby has no real filtering ability and if a piece of that stuff breaks off ...

That's why the guts are oiled.  And there should be a stainless mesh screen in the bottom of the "container."
The whole unit is really no more than a noise attenuator -- think the air really needs 'filtering"? -- we're not on a dusty highway like an auto or in a field like a tractor.

k

My engine compartment located under the companionway stairs awalys seems to accumulate lots of dust and dirt.   It could be different where you are?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ed Shankle

As part of my spring commisioning tasks I soak the metal mesh filter in a container of diesel, shake it out and let it dry. The diesel in the container is quite dirty after that, so I'm encouraged to keep doing it. I'm sure a dusty field would be much worse. Sill, seems like there are contaminants in the engine compartment. I have noticed that since I installed the vent hose fliter and ran it into the air filter housing, the metal mesh doesn't seem as dirty. So maybe a big source of the apparent contamination was actually from the vent hose discharge, despite using Ron's "foam pad in a cup" method previously, which did work.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Footloose

I replaced the whole thing with a K & N RU 2450 a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. 
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Rick Allen

I also installed the K&N RU2450 and it's been working great.

Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

prh77

The last 2 posts are what I am talking about....steel or bronze mesh sitting on top of the intake manifold....not.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

KWKloeber

Quote from: prh77 on March 14, 2016, 03:56:24 PM
The last 2 posts are what I am talking about....steel or bronze mesh sitting on top of the intake manifold....not.

I'm not suggesting anyone try this, but......  in college I loaned by Skylark (OHV V6) to my brother to go on a job interview.  When he returned it, he said it started "running rough."   hmmmm......

When I pulled the valve cover, an intake valve was missing -- its retainer had let go and the valve dropped into the cylinder.  When I tore it down, no valve -- it had been chewed up and spit it out the exhaust, with no more than a slight dent in the top if the piston.   
go figure!

kk

lazybone

You're suggesting a few metal bits is good for its constitution (and oil/compression rings)?
Like vitamins.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677