Hit a rock today...

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Weiss

Oops. Not paying enough attention to what was going on (obviously) and I hit a submerged rock. I wasn't going very fast, maybe 3 knots. There was a bang and the boat came to a complete stop, fortunately I was able to fall off the wind and sail away without any further problem. I'm wondering if I should have the keel checked, or just wait a few weeks until we haul for the winter. There was no grinding or scraping, just one sudden bump. How likely is it that I damaged my keel?

Stu Jackson

Steve, I did the same thing a few months ago.  So far, not an issue, I'll look for the gouge the next time I'm out.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

If you are 100%  sure that the keel was the only thing to strike, at the minimum, I'd check the bilge for any additional water and look at the keel bolts. If the water is warm enough, don your mask and snorkel and do a check of the entire bottom.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Steve Weiss

Quote from: Stu Jackson on September 15, 2013, 10:12:08 PM
Steve, I did the same thing a few months ago.  So far, not an issue, I'll look for the gouge the next time I'm out.

Stu, nice to know I'm not the only one prone to the occasional bone-headed move. Having your chart right there in the cockpit is good, actually looking at it is even better.

Steve Weiss

Quote from: Lance Jones on September 16, 2013, 05:05:01 AM
If you are 100%  sure that the keel was the only thing to strike, at the minimum, I'd check the bilge for any additional water and look at the keel bolts. If the water is warm enough, don your mask and snorkel and do a check of the entire bottom.

I'm as sure as I can be without actually seeing it.  Like I said, there was just one sound, no grinding or scraping and an immediate stop, I think I even bounced back a little. I will check the bilge and keel bolts. The water in Maine is getting a bit cold, so a check of the bottom will have to wait until hauling probably.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Steve Weiss on September 16, 2013, 06:25:49 AM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on September 15, 2013, 10:12:08 PM
Steve, I did the same thing a few months ago.  So far, not an issue, I'll look for the gouge the next time I'm out.

Stu, nice to know I'm not the only one prone to the occasional bone-headed move. Having your chart right there in the cockpit is good, actually looking at it is even better.

Steve, you guys have a lot more rocks than we do.  I was furling my main in an area I'd been in over hundreds of times.  Just got too close to land, turned the boat to head out and whack!  Yeah, the chart showed the rock and when I did the tide height conversion I knew I'd just kissed the top of it.  I'd just never been in that particular spot before.  Never again...:D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary

Can't resist sharing the Maine coastal saying " There are two kinds of sailors. Those that have hit rocks, and those that won't tell you they have hit rocks"

I think I am in the latter category.  :oops:

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Steve Weiss

Stu - normally when I go out I head through a nice wide channel that takes me past all the Islands near Portland out to open water. The channel gives me room to get the sails up. But yesterday the wind was coming straight in through that channel so I took an alternate route between two of the islands. I got the sails up but of course they all have rocky ledges and while I was fooling with the autopilot, bang! That lesson should last me a lifetime.

Steve Weiss

Quote from: Gary on September 16, 2013, 11:40:03 AM
Can't resist sharing the Maine coastal saying " There are two kinds of sailors. Those that have hit rocks, and those that won't tell you they have hit rocks"

I fall in the latter category.

Gary

I'm not proud...  :D

Ron Hill

Steve : If you don't have water entering the bilge and you have normal steerage, I'd plan on seeing a big dent/gouge when you pull out in a few weeks.  

As mentioned, if your curiosity gets the best of you and you have a warm wet suit, go down and take a look!  

a few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Weiss

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 16, 2013, 01:12:50 PM
Steve : If you don't have water entering the bilge and you have normal steerage, I plan on seeing a big dent/gouge when you pull out in a few weeks. 

As mentioned, if your curiosity gets the best of you and you have a warm wet suit, go down and take a look! 

a few thoughts

Ron - if I don't have water entering the bilge I'll be ok with a dent/gouge. I don't have a wetsuit (yet) so my curiosity isn't likely to win this time.

stevewitt1

Steve

If you don't do it on a regular basis, I believe the manual calls for checking the torque of the keel bolts after any grounding/strike.  So that might be a nice thing to do.

Sort of like GoldWing riders.  There are two kinds, Those that will admit they've accidently had their bike lay over on the roll bar and the liars.

Steve

Steve Weiss

Quote from: stevewitt1 on September 17, 2013, 11:37:48 AM
Steve

If you don't do it on a regular basis, I believe the manual calls for checking the torque of the keel boats after any grounding/strike.  So that might be a nice thing to do.

Sort of like GoldWing riders.  There are two kinds, Those that will admit they've accidently had their bike lay over on the roll bar and the liars.

Steve

Steve- thanks. I'll definitely check that.

Ron Hill

Steve ; The torque rating for the keel bolt nuts is 107 ft/lbs - incase you didn't know.
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Weiss

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 18, 2013, 08:15:16 AM
Steve ; The torque rating for the keel bolt nuts is 107 ft/lbs - incase you didn't know.

I didn't know... thanks Ron.