Hull number

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

The 34 I'm about to purchase  has this hull number.  CTYB0081L586.  Is it hull #81 or #586.  Thanks.

Ron Volk

I believe you have hull #81 with a production date of 5-86.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

mregan

Ralph Masters

It is hull 081 built in May 86

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Les Luzar

Here is how you decifer your hull number according to what I learned from Catalina Yachts:
CTYB0081L586

CTY = Catalina Yachts
B (are you sure it is not a P) P=C34
0081 = Hull Number
L = Built in December ( A=Jan, B=Feb, etc)
5 = Built in 1985
86 = Model Year.  

Too much information I am sure.... :D
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Guys : Les has got it right. 

There an old Mainsheet tech note article on this very topic! 
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Weiss

The explanation of hull numbers is also given on this very web site:

http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-hin.html

edited [Stu]:  added duplicate and URL to original post

http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-hin.html

It's in the FAQ in the Tech wiki.

Steve Weiss

Quote from: Les Luzar on October 16, 2012, 02:43:37 PM
Here is how you decifer your hull number according to what I learned from Catalina Yachts:
CTYB0081L586

CTY = Catalina Yachts
B (are you sure it is not a P) P=C34
0081 = Hull Number
L = Built in December ( A=Jan, B=Feb, etc)
5 = Built in 1985
86 = Model Year.  

Too much information I am sure.... :D

Actually, not really too much information if your boat is documented (or you want to document it) with the USGC. Which actually leads me to a question- the boat I just bought is documented, and the existing record has the entire alphanumeric string in the hull number field. Is that correct? Should it only have the hull number part of that string? In this case that would be just 0081.

Ron Volk

Steve,

Don't know what's right or wrong but under the heading 'IMO or other number' on the documentaton form for my boat shows the whole alfa numeric string.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Kevin Henderson

Steve,

My boat, "Pau Hana",  is Documented and the entire Alpha Numeric is shown in the hull#. 

Pleasure craft are never assigned an International maritime Organization (IMO) number.

USCG has some excellent resources to answer Documentation questions.  Your task should be very easy to continue the documentation since it has already been registered with the USCG.

If you're ever curious about a boats documentation, you can look it up by name at this very cool link. 

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html

Enjoy  :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Roc

I think the way of thinking of this is the HIN "Hull Idendification Number" which would be the entire alpha numeric string (like VIN on your car).  The "hull number" in this case, 81, which is the 81st C34 bulilt by Catalina.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Steve Weiss

Thanks Kevin. I did find that link, and after browsing some of the records saw that they all used the entire string there. The USCG does indeed have a ton of good information for boaters. NOAA too.