Wood under mast step - keel step

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

On another forum I read a respected registrant mention that early C34s had wood in the keel step (up to maybe 1987 from a discussion with Gerry Douglas).

Anybody have any experience with this? 

The older C30s were notorious for rotting keep stubs.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Exodus

I just pulled my mast a couple weeks ago and the step was not made of wood.  Perhaps it is possible that there is wood glassed in beneath the step.  Anybody want to volunteer to drill into the glass to see what is there??

Ron Hill

Guys : I wrote this up in the Mainsheet tech notes many years ago.

There is wood inside the glassed in mast deck step.  According to Gerry Douglas they stopped doing that with production hull #700 (as I recall that #).
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

Ron.... I am in awe. :thumb:
I am constantly amazed and want to compliment you on your vast amount of knowledge and living history of all things C-34. 
Thank You!   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Rick Allen

There certainly was wood glassed under my maststep and in the keel trunk. My C34 is sail number 746 from 1988. It delaminated and I had it removed and re-glassed a few years back. Not an easy or cheap process..  You can view some photos here:
http://public.fotki.com/sailorick/sv_painkiller/bilge-de-lamination/
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

Ron Hill

Rick & Guys : I've got a Catalina drawing from 1996 that shows how to repair the wood in the keel stub.  I'll try to attach it.  Exactly why they put wood in the keel stub or the mast step is beyond me (especially the mast step with all of that compression)??

This is definitely another reason to keep a DRY bilge.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Allen

Ron, I believe this is the drawing you speak of:

Ron Hill

Rick : That was the drawing I meant to post - thanks for posting it. 
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Hi Rick,
   Do you still have the pictures of re-glassing the mast step from the 2012 post? I tried the link but it doesn't work. Thanks.
Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Rick Allen

Jon, here is the bilge repair instructions from Catalina, I'm still looking for the repair pictures.

lazybone

Its hard to read some of the writing.

Does it say to add a total of 55 layers of glass?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

KWKloeber

Quote from: lazybone on April 02, 2015, 03:18:48 AM

Here's my cleaned-up copy of that bilge wood plank fix, and a related one for the smile.
I don't know if you guys have the wooden mast support block as we do, but I added that fix

And pix of my smile fix (on a 30.)  About 50% of the joint was punky when I got into it.  Fun wow.
one also.

Cheers,
Ken

[attachimg=#]
[attachimg=#]

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 02, 2015, 06:06:20 AM

Here's my cleaned-up copy of that bilge wood plank fix, and a related one for the smile.
I don't know if you guys have the wooden mast support block as we do, but I added that fix

And pix of my smile fix (on a 30.)  About 50% of the joint was punky when I got into it.  Fun wow.
one also.

Cheers,
Ken

[attachurl=#]

Ooops.  Sorry can't attach, PDFs are too large to upload thru the forum.   :cry4`
:donno: why the limit is so low, but....

I can email them if you like?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Quote from: lazybone on April 02, 2015, 03:18:48 AM

6) Laminate (3) layers of 1.5 oz mat and 24 oz roving alternately lapping up onto keel stub sides approx 6"

Does that help?

Ken

KWKloeber

Here's the PDF.  Not sure how to have it  display here (or maybe PDFs will not?)

http://c34.org/wiki/images/a/ae/CTY_Keel_Stub_Repair_Pre-1988_2-1996.pdf

[attachimg=#]

(I guess a PDF will not display?)

http://c34.org/wiki/images/d/d2/CTY_keel_crack_repair_7-1985_rev.5-1996.pdf

[attachimg=#]