hatchboard storage

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Volk

Looking back in the 'Tech Wicki" & using the 'search' box regarding hatch board storage, I found only a couple of suggestions for storage locations, so I thought I would add a couple of pictures of where our holders are located. This was not done by me but by the original owner and it took me a while to figure out what these teak blocks were for (duh).  I don't know how common this setup is, but I find it a simple solution to get these cumberson boards out of the way.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Ron Hill

Ron : Somewhere, at one time, I had pictures and an explanation on this site !?!

I put them in the port side lazerette - large board first with the hasp down & inward right next to the cockpit side wall.  Then the smaller board goes on the outside of the large board.  I made sleeves out of old pillow cases.  A piece of shock cord keeps them in place - upright.  I'll have to take another picture?

They are out of the way, easily accessable if ever needed and take up space that is otherwise wasted.  

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Nice idea.  Ever skin your ankles on them?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Volk

Stu,

I haven't, and really hadn't thought about that problem regarding the mounting supports sticking out a little.  The teak board that supports the port cushion the cushion itself seems to keep my leg (shin and ankle) automatically away fromthe edge.  But now that you mentioned it you know what's going to happen.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Ron. 

If you do skin your ankle(s) just blame it on me (or it's on YOU for not sailing on port tack all the time!).  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RV61

Nice set up.
Here is another one
The admiral made a custom canvas bag  with a sleeve inside and we hung it on the inside of the aft cabin on the aft cabin door. Hooks on the door with  grommets on the bag for the top and some snaps on the bottom to keep it from clanking. Will try to take some pictures. We leave the aft door open when we leave for ventilation and so when we arrive down the steps slide the boards in the bag and done.
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Mark Elkin

Sorry to reply so late.  I had to get up to the boat to shoot pictures.

The PO set up storage in the port lazarette.  Some might argue that they would come loose in a heavy sea or knock down.  But in eleven years of sailing, the hatchboards have stayed in place and never been an obstacle.
Mark S Elkin

Lance Jones

Mark, the obvious problem I see is that you don't have enough junk in your settee! :rolling
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Guys : My hatch board storage is almost the same as Marks. 
Mine in an inch or two less as mine are tight against the cockpit side of the locker and held in place with a piece of shock cord.  see my post above. 
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

I know this is old...  but this is something ... apparently no one else has thought of:

I slide my hatch boards  behind the starboard settee back rest cushions.  The smaller one goes just aft of the v-berth bulkhead and the larger or top hatch board goes in front of the galley.  You'd never know they were there.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?