Vibration Isolator

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kuba

I joined the association recently, and was wondering if I could get some help. Can anyone Identify who manufactured this vibration isolator?

Thanks,
Bob

Stu Jackson

Bob

That doesn't look like a vibration isolator.  It looks like a PSS dripless shaft seal, which replaced the original stuffing box.

You should also check to assure that you have a key in the keyway.  The slot looks kinda dark and empty.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dave davis

I do not know anything about isolators. But I sure would like to know how you were able to show that great photo on the Message Board. Could you explain the method to a novice like me? It sure would help to explain and show things like your have done. I tried to send this message on your email you have listed but it did not work. O well, is it me again? Dave.
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Roc

That is a Federal Flexible Coupling.  Have the same one on my boat.  Works like a charm.  I had a yard install a flexible coupling last year and this is the only type that would fit between the PSS shaft seal and gear box.  They said they like this type because the shaft is 'keyed' into the coupling.  I don't know where they bought it. Here is the yard's website.  www.lockwoodboatworks.com

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Bob Kuba

NOT APPLICABLE ANYMORE  [Stu Sept. 2009]

Stu,

Thanks for solving the mystery.

OK, as for how this picture appears in the message. The first thing you need to do in order to post a photo, is to have your photo already uploaded onto a web site somewhere. If you have an ISP that allows you to have your own "personal" home page, you're in business. Just upload your photo to your personal home page, and jot down the directory that it resides in. Your ISP provider can give you the exact location of the directory. After that, it's easy.

For example, the photo of the isolator resides on the following computer:
http://images.sailnet.com/catfleet21/dampner1a.jpg

Where dampner1a.jpg is the name of the photo. Next, in order for the photo to appear on this message board, you have to tell this software what to look for, and where to find it. It's one simple line of html code. Just insert your info in the appropriate place. For example:

There are no spaces after the

Bob Kuba

Ok,

I'll try that again. the line of code to post the photo is:

img
http://images.sailnet.com/catfleet21/myphoto.jpg
/img

EXCEPT use brackets [  ] around img and /img.

Bob Kuba

Dave,

click on my name to get the profile screen.
Then where you see the email address, delete
_NO_SPAM  from the address. You will then have a valid address to send to. Members add this line to their address to prevent automated email spammers from sending us tons of junk mail. When they try to send something, they get the same result you did. SOL.

Drop me a line...
Bob