Changing transmission from HBW 50 to ZF10M

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

Other then the 1" difference mentioned in other threads is there something else that needs to change in order to use ZF10M (HWB 100) transmission instead of HWB 50.

The HBW 50 I'm removing is a rebuilt I had put in only two summers ago. I used a new damper plate then.

Thanks,

Pierre
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Craig Illman

Pierre - How are you going to compensate for the 1"" difference? Shorten the shaft? My M25-XPA is so far aft, I'd need to move it forward and adjust the exhaust riser. I think all the hoses and cabling are ok. I was also considering adding an R&D coupler, that would require yet another inch forward.

Craig

pjcomeau

I'm having someone do the work. I had seen a post that Ron Hill said we could use the HBW 100 with the M25XP. The mechanic agreed that it should be ok. He has not mentioned it yet, but I believe he is going with just pushing the shaft out an inch. We have a short season and do not have a lot of time before our main event (1 week at end of July).

Depending on how it feels / Mechanic recommendations we will deal with shaft accordingly (i.e. shorten it by an inch).

-PC
Pierre Comeau

Ron Hill

Pierre : There shouldn't be any surprises in the 1" additional length.  You might be OK with the length of the shaft whack can be slid further inside the shaft coupling - depending on the geometry of your boat and it's parts.  If all else failed you just cut off 1" of shaft!!

When I did that Xmission change to mine I also change out the damper plate.  You might want to do the same.  I kept that new damper plate (less than 100 hrs) when I changed out to a complete new engine and have it for sale - if you are interested (1/2 price).

Be interested on how that mechanic is removing the bell housing while the engine is still in the boat (the HB 50 is bolted to the bell housing from the inside!!!) .

I'm sure that you'll like the ZF10 (HB100). 
Ron, Apache #788

pjcomeau

Ron,

I got a new damper plate when I put in the rebuilt hbw 50 two summers ago (very few hours). I'm assuming he still has to to lift the engine and move it forward to remove the transmission as was done when we did this last time for the hbw 50.

Just curious, what did you repower with?

I should get the transmission on Friday, hopefully everything goes well.

Thanks.
Pierre Comeau

Ron Hill

Pierre : I went with an M25XPB (see Mainsheet article!). 
It was cheaper to buy a complete engine than it was to "bobtail" an engine and then add the transmission + damper + the adapter plate etc. 
Ron, Apache #788