Transmission Fluid Change w/Flix

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Here's a good reason to do this every few years, whether you think you need to or not!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan & D. Gill : Another good reason to change you transmission fluid every year is simply :
Your owners manual says to change it ANNUALLY .  Hurth just might know what they're talking about!!   
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

dgill

Hey Ron,  Just for the record, the trans fluid in FPOA is always changed every spring.  So it looks like the good fluid in Stu's photo.  :D
First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md

Ron Hill

D : A good way to do it on the Hurth 50 is fill the transmission to the top in the fall.  It' ll take about 3/4 quart of Dexron fluid.  This keeps condensation from forming, but more important it keeps the seals wet (especially the fwd one)!!
Then suck it all out in the spring and refill to the correct level.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

dgill

Ron, you're absolutely right.  This is a very good suggestion.  FPOA has benefited from this regime for many years.   :thumb:
First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md

karista

Stu
Interesting picture, the better test however would be to check the new oil color after about an hour or so of running, then see how the color compares to new oil! I know when I change my engine oil with nice clean new oil, its black in color as soon as I turn off the engine and check its level. :?
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Stu Jackson

Quote from: karista on August 06, 2009, 06:03:23 AM
the better test however would be to check the new oil color after about an hour or so of running, then see how the color compares to new oil!

You are perfectly welcome to do the contortions necessary to do so!  I refuse!!! :D :D :D  I had help last time, but did this one solo, so going under the aft cabin, which is something I (still) don't mind, is still a bit too much to repeat for that purpose alone.

Sure, we all know about the black engine oil.  Not sure how this would go.  Nor do I care at this point, while still straightening out my body.  Always a wise guy... :D

Now, on a serious note, you simply do NOT have to do that unless you suspect something going wrong.  For the past 18 years, I have been changing my transmission fluid once a year, usually between 100 and 150 hours.  The picture showed what it looks like after that number of hours.  It keeps working.  I don't choose to "sample" it between replacement intervals.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."