Filters kit from Catalina

Previous topic - Next topic

rappareems

I recently purchase a filters replacement kit from Catalina... two oil filter, two fuel filters and impeller and gasket and two fine mesh filters that I don't know what they are for.  I have the Universal 25 engine use the first year of production of the 34, 1986 not the XP engine.  Any thoughts?

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Craig Illman

Mark - If they are cylindrical, red? and about one inch in height, I suspect they're for the Facet fuel pump.

Craig

rappareems

Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Ron Hill

Mark : If you go to our C34 web site, there is a section on replacement oil and fuel filters that you can buy at any auto parts store -- at a greatly reduced price compared to what Catalina sells them for. 
A thought  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

to add to Ron's recommendation....

that savings in itself would probably cover your C34IA dues for two years.

:thumb:

Craig

rappareems

While working on the cooling system I went to the local Kubota dealer for a radiator cap.  He explained that the marine division of Kubota won't give him (ag dealer) comperable part numbers for replacement parts.  Consequently he fished through his parts till he came up with a cap that "looked" like it was the right one.

Do we have a source for part numbers?  I have purchased the oil and fuel filters before at my local NAPA store, the kit from Catalina seemed resonable for what it contained and gives me a back up impeller as well.  Saves me a 100 mile round trip to West Marine in Buffalo.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Ken Juul

There is nothing special about radiator caps.  They are set to hold pressure to a set point then open and release until the pressure drops back to normal.  Some coolant recovery systems have the relief function built into the overflow bottle, in which case you might just have a cap with no pressure relief.

The pressure should be annotated on the cap.  Any cap that fit on the coolant tank neck with the correct release pressure will work.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

My i8nventory shows this for "radiator" caps:   Installed 1/3/99 Use # SKE SK3516 small #14 DON'T Use #SEN6582 #15

It's NOT a radiator cap, that's why the Kubota dealer was flummoxed.  On a tractor there's a radiator.  On a marine engine the cap is on the exhaust manifold.

If you look at the manuals section of the website (www.c34ia.org, scroll down left side index to manuals) you can find the entire engine manual, which can also be found at www.marinedieseldirect.com, online).

Ken's right.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

I got one for $5 from Napa. It fits and works just fine.

Craig

rappareems

The cap I put on seems to work fine, but.... my Kubota dealer says he needs a app. 10 digit part number.  Stu, the SKE number you listed is not Kubota.  Should I take the old cap to NAPA and have them match it up?  I am not sure how critical the cap is...

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

Mark, those #s are most likely my local Universal engine dealer's #s.  From everything I can recall and what's been shared on this topic, finding a replacement is less a parts "numbers" game than it is taking the old one off and wandering into an auto parts store.  Then, when you get one that works, remember that number, go back to the auto store and buy another, because my PO's cap lasted 12 years and mine's been on for 11. :D  If you have two you'll be good for twenty years.  Any luck on finding the "manifold pressure cap" part # in the manuals?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rappareems

I did find the cap match up and it was a Westerbeke 24306.  Not what my kubota dealer needed.  I will take the old one to my NAPA store.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan and D.Gill : The M25XP is a Kubota D950 engine block.  The D950 engine parts list is posted on our web site!!!!   There's no guessing on the Kubota part #, as you can look it up.

Yes, you can also take SOME parts (very few) to an auto parts store and match them.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

prh77

One problem I have had using the D 950 manual on our site, is that is old, and many of the part #s have been superceded. Many times the old numbers are not recognized at various Kubota suppliers, a case in point the injectors I just bought. Ronnie at Tractor Smart is great,tell him the Kubota model # of your engine and he will get you the parts. Prices are great; $61 per injector as opposed to $260 from universal.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Susan Ray

this could be a blonde question... but what makes all these radiator caps go bad? Don't they just sit there with no wear or working involved? Of course I had to check mine and it looked good... only what would indicate it was bad?
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii