Annapolis Show, C34 Production Continuity, LED Lights, & M35B Engine PHOTOS FLIX

Previous topic - Next topic

BillG

Attended the boat show yesterday and there were no Cat 34s on hand.  Not sure how reliable the information is because it came from the sales staff, but they told me that the 34 is done and on its way out.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Bill Asbury

Also attended the show yesterday and noted that the C34 was not listed in the literature as being available for sale.  The Admiral was quite impressed with the 350 on display, however. $200K sailaway.
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

tonywright

I was there Saturday and Sunday. Got to meet Frank, Sharon and Gerry, which was great. A nice wine and cheese party for owners on Saturday evening.

Actually the 2008 catalog on hand there still lists the C34. The salesperson I spoke with said that plans are not yet firm for 2009.

We looked at the 350 and the 375. In our opinion neither measures up to the 34 MK II. I don't very much care for the new non-skid that seems to have been introduced on these models, which forgoes the really nice diamond pattern for a random spray-on look. I always thought that the diamond pattern non-skid gives the Catalina a distinctive look. Maybe that's just me.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Bill Asbury

Agree re the non-skid on the 350 being cheap looking compared to the 34, Tony.  Only did a brief tour of the Catalinas and didn't talk to any of the principals, but also noticed later in the lit that the 34 is still listed.
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

tonywright

What keeps me coming back to the boat shows is getting to talk to the manufacturers and suppliers of the systems on our boats.

I met Fred Hutchison of PYI, who supply the PSS shaft seal. I have found that if I try to motor above 6 knots, or in some types of cross-currents (heavy wave action), the seal will start to squeal loudly. I have to stop and burp the seal before continuing. Fed agreed that this seems to happen on some, but not many C34's. So he is shipping me a replacement carbon with a vent tube. Great service.

I also found an M35B sitting on a table at the Westerbeke stand. So I asked and got permission to photograph it from all angles. It could come in handy some day, when I need to understand exactly what I am trying to unbolt, but can't quite see.

I was intrigued by a "Swiss Tech" product that allows you to hoist yourself up a mast with a 10-1 purchase. Seems pretty solid, although a tad expensive at close to $1500. I am still waiting for West Marine to come out with a replacement for my bosun's chair, which they recalled. Apparently these might be out by the end of the year.

Did buy a handy two-way full duplex headset dubbed the "marriage saver". This should greatly improve communication during anchoring etc. We have experimented with VOX technology, but there is too much delay before transmission.

The same folks are selling LED replacement bulbs for Catalinas at $20 each.  They agreed the price is likely to continue to come down, so I am holding off for now on that.

Most impressive boat at the show: the Oyster 82. Just over $6m asking. But you should see the owner's stateroom....

Tony

Tony Wright

Mark Wey

Tony

You should go to all of the Boat Shows. Then sell the reviews. Good job!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Roger Blake

Tony--Could you post the name of the manufacturer of the LEDs...I don't see them listed on the Ship's Store section. At last year's Annapolis Boat Show I was quoted $40 for each light (at least from one manufacturer) so I didn't purchase...seems you've found a much better deal. Thanks.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

tonywright

The LED's were being offered by Cruising Solutions: www.cruisingsolutions.com. A couple that are full-time liveaboards.

Tony

Tony Wright

Stu Jackson

Rod Collins (Maine Sail) has contributed to this board, and provided a lengthy and helpful analysis of anchors some time back.

He's posted an analysis of LED lights at www.sailboatowners.com which is a good read:  http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=102144

Scroll down to his post.

I encourage you to meander over to that website, because there are some great things happening there, and it's free, too, just like ours.  They just upgraded their software and it's somewhat easy to use.  I learn a lot from those guys, some of whom appear here, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bob K

I liked the $25 winch handle to replace the one that went over the side  :D
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

capndon

Tony how about posting some of your M35 B photos on the board. It would be great to be able to see a 360 view.

Don Scales
1998 w/ M35 BC
'Ragtop'
1998 #1390 Ragtop

Mike Denest

Quote from: Bob K on October 16, 2008, 07:11:25 PM
I liked the $25 winch handle to replace the one that went over the side  :D

Sometimes winch handles are worth more than the boat!
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

tonywright

Here are photos 1-3 of the M35B on display at Annapolis
Tony Wright

tonywright

Here are photos 4-6
Tony Wright