Alternator alignment issue

Previous topic - Next topic

pablosgirl

Brian,
I had a similar problem with my alt bracket.  I placed a metal straight edge across the pulley faces and determined that the alt needed to move aft 1/4''.  Since there were no shims used between the bracket and the front of the engine there was no way to slide the bracket further aft on the engine.  I took the bracket to a machine shop and had them cut off the alt mounting ears and weld them 1/4" further aft on the bracket.  This fixed my alignment problem.  I also had the SAE bolt and swapped it with the metric bolt and had to drill out the alt a little to use it.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

KWKloeber

Quote from: pablosgirl on June 29, 2018, 04:27:50 AM

I took the bracket to a machine shop and had them cut off the alt mounting ears and weld them 1/4" further aft on the bracket.  This fixed my alignment problem.  I also had the SAE bolt and swapped it with the metric bolt and had to drill out the alt a little to use it.

As i said in the beginning, it's easiest to file off a little of the foor to move it backward and shim the front of the foot.  The alternator is dedicated to the boat, so it's not like it's going to be pulled and swapped to another bracket sometime.  If it's only 1/4" off a 2" foot, no problem,  I wouldn't recommend that if there was a significant loss of the foot width.  Along with that, IIWMA, I'd epoxy the shims to the front of the foot; essentially swapping the material and bolt support from back to front.  The other thing to look at is, is there something wrong with the pulley?
Also, change to the Dayco Top Cog belt for the best wear characteristics.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

rmbrown

Has anyone come to any conclusion as to how close is close enough?  I used aluminum angle as a straight edge clamped to the crank pulley.  I measured using feeler gauges between belt and straight edge.  What's good enough?  Or asked another way, what's the smallest shim you'd mess with to get the two parallel planes closer?

And, as far as the two pulley's being parallel, what's close enough to parallel?

Perfection is always my goal, but I'm wondering where diminishing returns sets in? 

I guess the true measure is belt dust/life while it's running?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ron Hill

Mike : I used a stainless 18" ruler as my straight edge. Can't remember where I got it from - maybe Harbor Freight? or Sears tools?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

I'm happy enough with my aluminum stock straight edge... but I'm still wondering how good is good enough. :)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

As close as you can measure using a steel ruler, forget feeler gauges (unless you just WANT to be OCD about it.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

rmbrown

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ron Hill

Mike : I was able to get my alignment "right ON"!!  " How good is good enough" ?
  How much belt wear are you willing to tolerate???????

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

mainesail

Quote from: rmbrown on November 28, 2018, 01:55:13 PM
https://marinehowto.com/marine-alternator-installation-tips-tricks/

New article... thanks, Mainesail!

Wow thanks..! That was fast too, I had only published it about 10 minutes before that!
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/