Adding a wash down pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas Tequila

We have decided to add a wash down pump to be able to hose down the decks and wash the anchor and rode when we have been anchored in a muddy bottom. We have been just using buckets but "she who must be obeyed" thinks that is a pain and wants a wash down system.

I've ordered a Jabsco 32605 Series Marine ParMax 4 GPM Washdown Pump Kit which should be here in the next couple of days. I intend to tee into the thru hull for the sink foot pump and in a perfect world I'd like to run a line forward to the anchor locker but access looks like a real pain. An alternative might be to run it to the port side coaming near the shore power. Of course we would have to run a hose forward if we wanted to wash down the anchor and rode. More often than not we find ourselves washing down the cockpit, it's amazing how much sand and dog hair can accumulate there. We have one of those collapsible hoses which works pretty well and stores neatly so running it forward that's not that big a deal.

Oh we are also in the great lakes so no salt water.

Question is, have any of you installed a wash down system and if so where did you run your water line?
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Roc

I haven't installed a wash down pump, but always thought about it and how I might do it.  Ideally, tying into an existing thru hull would be the normal installation.  But one way I've thought about (and wonder if anyone actually did this), is to install the pump inside the hull at the bow.  Have the inlet and outlet ports mounted in and accessible from the anchor locker.  For the outlet, have a spiral hose attached, ready to use.  But for the inlet hose, have a piece of hose with the adapter on one end to attach to the inlet port and the other side clamped to a filter canister.  So when you want to use the wash down, you connect the input side of the hose to the inlet coupling and throw the other side with the filter canister into the water, over the bow.  This creates a pretty short distance for the pump to draw the water, and the pump is also close to the outlet side for maximum pressure.  The system would not seem to create a loss of pressure since the installation is compact.  Long hose distances into and leaving the pump causes pressure loss, or makes the pump work hard to draw the water in.  Also saves from teeing into a thru hull, or cutting a new thru hull at the bow.  Always contemplated this and wonder if anyone actually did it this way.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Guys : Look in WiKi and the Mainsheet tech notes (with pictures).  I made a "Anchor washer" out of a bilge pump that I dropped overboard.  The end clamped to the Bow pulpit and aimed at the anchor roller.  I slowly brought the chain up and the stream from the bilge pump cleaned the chain.

As I mentioned before I also use it to pump most of  the rain out of the dink after a storm.

I coiled it up and it stores inside the Anchor Well

Easily made!!  A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Mick Laver

Mas,
I made a portable chain/anchor washdown with a pump similar to yours. See

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8115.msg72542.html#msg72542

It works well and only takes a couple of minutes to set up. A dedicated fitting in the anchor locker for the hose and the pump intake going to a through-hull would be ideal, but this is a good solution in the meanwhile.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Jon W

Hi Mick, eventually I plan on putting together a portable washdown system like yours. What were the reasons for choosing the 5 gpm pump over the 4 gpm? Looks like both are 70 psi. Thanks for the help.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Mick Laver

Hi Jon. I'd like to say I did exhaustive comparisons, but it got down to me wanting to shoot as much water as possible at the muddy mess without blowing inline fuses or tripping breakers. I measured the 5 gpm draw at 10-11 amps (published max is 16A), which should work with my existing wiring and circuit breakers when I do the "permanent" installation. I think the 6 gpm would have been pushing it (published max 18A), not to mention it was more expensive. Come on by and I can show it to you if you'd like.

I do have a friend who has done a permanent install of a 6 gpm Jabsco "Hot Shot" on a Mk II, but I don't think he's used it in the field yet. He's on the list, so maybe once he does test it he can share  the results. BTW the 6 gpm pump is listed at 70 psi as well.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Jim Hardesty

Please don't laugh at me.  I use a "as seen on TV" Hydroshot.

https://www.worx.com/hydroshot-portable-power-cleaner-wg629.html?&msclkid=74046d37bb50188eec2236be97eba080&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand%20-%20Hydroshot%20-%20Exact&utm_term=works%20hydro%20shot%20sprayer&utm_content=Hydroshot&gclid=CIrs4fadl90CFQmVxQIdva0Eyw&gclsrc=ds

I bought it for about $50 factory reconditioned. I did add a swerly nozel,works well on nonskid.  It really does well.  Came with a hose to draw water from the lake and an attachment for soda bottle, you salt water guys could do a fresh water rinse with a 2 liter bottle. 
Also use it around home for windows and such.  It is more than a toy.

Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

Jim- do you use a bucket on deck for water source or thow a hose overboard for water source?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Noah,

It came with a hose with a float.  I throw that in the lake, has no problem priming.  Think if I was in salt water a fresh water rinse would help it last longer.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA