MK I Swim Ladder extension

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

The warm balmy weather for San Diego has had us diving off the back of Pau Hana these days for cool relief.  Increasingly, I and especially my wife find the original swim ladder to be a supreme PITA to board.  I ran across this:

https://www.clrmarine.com/Extend_Your_Step

Has anybody tried this?  Thoughts?  I am not desiring to weld and cut and extend the SS to build a permanent solution.  Just looking for something that I can toss in the lazerette when not in use and attach it quickly to swim. 
Any alternatives or suggestions?

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

KWKloeber

PS. they don't show a pic of the eggstension that supposedly doesn't swing.   
Why not I wonder if it's the "Cat(alina's) pajamas"?

Kevin

Because the eggstension is freewheeling, you'll find it awkward.  When you step on it and raise your body, it'll swing under the transom, and you'll need to "climb" up it using your bare knees and shins, and torso to brace yourself against the other ladder to keep it vertical.  Look at the pic of him on the extension, he's hugging the stainless for dear life to  keep the eggstension from swinging forward underneath his body.  That said,  it's better than nothing,  but not great.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

jmcdonald

Click on "order your 3 step extension". There is a picture there. To keep it from swinging,
they have you clip it onto the second step on your boarding ladder. It seems to me that
used like this makes it into a two step ladder. Still can be useful.

KWKloeber

"Extend Your Boarding Ladder by 41" for More Safety and Convenience"
Not (if used how they describe.) Truth in advertising. Not.

They need to show pics how it fits onto and the angle if hung from the 2nd rung up.
It won't be vertical (parallel to the ladder) due to where the hooks are placed and the width of the side pieces.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

I have the single step.  Have had it for most of the 20 years we've had Aquavite.  It works fine.  If I had a do-over I'd get more steps.

Go for it, I'm glad they are still available.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Hugh17

That link doesn't work for me. Can others open it?
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

I feel the pain! Even with my pretty flexible frame, I had trouble getting a foot onto the standard ladder as it only reached a couple of inches into the water.

My Solution: Purchased a telescoping ladder to attach (2nd from bottom rung). 

Works great, even Peggy can get out of the water when the extension is down.

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Kevin Henderson

Thanks Paul, 
I'm curious how you attached it.  Do you have more pictures? 
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

britinusa

Two SS U bolts.
I cut the brackets on the new extension with an angle wheel cutter (HF $29) so that they would not be an issue sticking out.

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP