Throttle Tension Slipping

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBMusik

I have twice removed my compass to tighten the hex bolt which provides tension on the throttle shaft. This of course means removing my electronics pod to be able to remove the compass...
Last month, I made sure to add some loctite to the threads thinking that the bolt had backed off the first time.
After only a month, the throttle will not hold it's position.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, Dave
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Ron Hill

Dave : No too sure that I would have used Locktite!!
You might go down to the engine, extend the inner wire on the throttle cable.  Then clean any grease with lacquer thinner and spray some Belt Grip on the wire and see if that doesn't help.

Otherwise you might have to remove the compass again and remove, inspect and maybe replace that tightening bolt.  If the female threads are stripped - then it'll mean re-tapping for a larger bolt!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

mark_53

Hi, a few of us have had the same problem. A small bungee around the throttle level is the lazybones fix.

scgunner

I have the same problem, at max throttle it will back down to about 2000rpm. I just use tape to lock it in position.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

DaveBMusik

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 11, 2018, 10:35:36 AM
Dave : No too sure that I would have used Locktite!!
You might go down to the engine, extend the inner wire on the throttle cable.  Then clean any grease with lacquer thinner and spray some Belt Grip on the wire and see if that doesn't help.

Otherwise you might have to remove the compass again and remove, inspect and maybe replace that tightening bolt.  If the female threads are stripped - then it'll mean re-tapping for a larger bolt!!

A few thoughts

Ron, I believe this is a problem on the throttle lever end at the pedestal and not the engine end.
I tighten the hex bolt and all is fine. A month later it starts slipping hence my thought that the bolt was backing out. No problem with any stripped threads.
I wonder if some kind of a rubber insert between the bolt and throttle rod might work better than metal to metal?
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Ron Hill

Dave : Put a slippage mark on that bolt and see if the bolt is turning. Which I don't think it is.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Mine does the same thing, it'll run all day at 2000 but I have to hold it or use the bungee trick to keep it up. Having said that, 2/3 - 3/4 should be the max you run that for extended time.

Your boat, your choice.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Dale Stone

Had a similar problem on a 2001 MK II, I couldn't go higher that 1600 RPM. I called a mechanic and he suggested a cable brake. Installed it near the engine side and it seems to work. The part is from Seastar Solutions pt# 044386. Amazon carries them.

I don't like the idea of crushing the cable insulator  but it does work.
Dale Stone 2001 C34 II, Hull #1526, Salem Ma

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

DaveBMusik

Great Picture Ken! - I know it well.
The question is why, after tightening the machine screw, does the throttle start to slip, even after using a thread lock to keep the machine screw from backing out?
I contacted Edson on Monday but have not had a response  :-(
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

The idea wasn't the pic, it was to check the thread.  Besides the 4 foot difference, one of the two groups will figure it out.   :-)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Tom Soko

Dave,
I had the same problem on my C36. I talked with Edson, and they said I should try putting a cable clamp (also called a wire clamp or a saddle clamp) on the throttle cable, near the engine.  Much easier to access, install, and adjust. I can't remember the exact size. Available at most hardware stores. Hope this helps.

https://webriggingsupply.com/product/516-malleable-wire-rope-clip/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8O7bBRB0EiwAfbrThx3yCV2-FDPFIVgCwpJZr2YRm_wUe8VnJIeiEru5YCDu_u_Ndga8axoC42oQAvD_BwE
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

DaveBMusik

Quote from: Tom Soko on August 21, 2018, 10:04:12 AM
Dave,
I had the same problem on my C36. I talked with Edson, and they said I should try putting a cable clamp (also called a wire clamp or a saddle clamp) on the throttle cable, near the engine.  Much easier to access, install, and adjust. I can't remember the exact size. Available at most hardware stores. Hope this helps.

https://webriggingsupply.com/product/516-malleable-wire-rope-clip/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8O7bBRB0EiwAfbrThx3yCV2-FDPFIVgCwpJZr2YRm_wUe8VnJIeiEru5YCDu_u_Ndga8axoC42oQAvD_BwE

Thanks Tom!

Am I correct that the clamp is used to crimp the casing onto the actual cable to increase the friction?

Has there been any abrasion to the cable as a result and how long have you had it in place?

Dave
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

Horror Freight has stainless, 1/8" wire rope clamps that should work nicely?
You could experiment by lightly clamping a vice grip (tm) on the cable, then greater tension, just to see if that corrects it.

-k

Tom Soko

Dave,
Yes, that is correct. You tighten the clamp around the wire sheath just enough to create more friction between the inside wire and the sheath. It might take a few 1/8th turns to get it just right. I had that setup on my C36 for probably 12-14 of the 18 years I owned it, and there were no problems. I think it was actually Will Keene, owner of Edson, who suggested that fix for the slipping throttle. Also, no need to spend the extra $$ for SS clamps. Any hardware store variety will do. There's really no exposure to salt water in that spot on the engine.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT