Starter Fuse

Previous topic - Next topic

kss1220

Is there a inline fuse for the M25XP Universal starter?  If the factory installed one I cannot locate or find reference to it in the manual.  Then again I could be missing something.  If there is a fuse what is the amp rating and where is it located?

Kelly

Ray & Sandy Erps

I've trouble shooted a fair number or starting problems in my days, but haven't run into an in-line fuse to a starter yet.  I've tested for juice at the starter terminal before with an indication that it wasn't hot when in fact the ground was so bad that the test light wouldn't light up.  A more common problems with starters is the solenoid contacts getting so burned that it won't pass the juice to the starter motor.  That's usually indicated by a loud click when you press the button with nothing else happening.

I've been having a few starter problems myself on our July trip to Desolation Sound.  Thank goodness for the compression release or I wouldn't have got her started at the fuel dock after a long day of motoring.  Checked for voltage drop to the starter, haven't checked the grounds yet, but leaning towards jerking the starter to see how the brushes are doing as there are 2000 hrs on the XP-25
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Kelly,

There's a 20 amp inline fuse at the starter.  This is depicted on the wiring diagram in the M25XP engine manual.  Use a standard fast-blow type fuse.  The fuse itself is located very close to the starter.  If you follow the wires from the starter, you'll find it.  Ours is accessable through the access door in the head.  If the fuse corrodes, you may end up with intermitent starter operation before it fails completely.  The fuse in our '88 turned to dust recently, and I don't know when it was replaced previously, but based on the condition of the fuse holder, I'd bet money it had been there since the boat was new.  Recommend that you pay a bit more for a corrosion resistant fuse, and spray the fuse and holder with Boeing T-9 or an equivalent for longetivity as well as circuit continuity.

Good luck,

Mike
'88 Hull 563 "Spirit"