Things I wish I had known ...

Previous topic - Next topic

Ainia

We are in the market for a 34 MKII and wonder what things we should be looking for in our search. Been around sailboats for near 50 years and have circumnavigated so am looking for information specific to these boats, e.g. known problems, rather than general boat stuff. Thanks.

Ken Juul

take a look at the "critical upgrades" and 101 series stickies in the blue section at the top of the page.  Also check the tech wiki, link just under the picture at the top of the page.  Won't answer your question directly, but will give you an idea of what to look for.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

This archived item should help, too:

http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ainia

Looking for a Mk II for use mainly on the Great Lakes. Very experienced sailor but wonder if there any things specific to 34 Mk IIs that I should know about as I check out purchase candidates Thanks.

Stu Jackson

Ainia,

You've started an almost identical topic, so we've merged them.

Hope you've had a chance to review the suggestions so far.

Happy hunting.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Dave Spencer

Ainia ,
I think the relative silence you got in response to your enquiry is your answer.  If you're looking at MkII boats, the known Catalina "issues" like the wiring harness, alternator bracket and traveller bolts have already been designed out.  It sounds like you know boats quite well and your knowledge will help you avoid the pitfalls of buying any used boat.  This isn't to say Catalina 34s are perfect and others may chime in with their views but if you know what you're doing, a MkII boat would be a good bet.

Good luck with your search.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Bill Asbury

Traded a '91 C34 in 2010 for our current '05 C34 with all amenities and love it, with very few issues other than routine maintenance.
Strongly suggest you buy the newest C34 you can afford and bust the budget if necessary to minimize age-related maintenance issues.
Good luck! 
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Bill Asbury on August 04, 2018, 10:14:04 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
...to minimize age-related maintenance issues.

Bill is not the first to have actually owned TWO Catalina 34s.  Our tech editor, John Nixon has.  Bob Englehardt from Fleet 1 in San Francisco is another (a Mark I and now a Mark II).  There are quite a few others.

When we bought our then-12 year old 1986 boat in 1998, we actually looked at new ones, which were --- GASP!!! --- TWICE the price!!!  I couldn't justify it. 

I can't think of any "age-related" issues that, eventually, someone wouldn't have with a boat if they keep it long enough.  We've had ours for twenty years last month.

Hose replacement should be considered routine maintenance.  I've replaced the muffler, which many have rebuilt the ports for, but I got a great deal from someone who had to change his out on his boat.  I've rebuilt the raw water pump twice, instead of replacing it.

Other than that, can someone explain "age-related" issues for me?  I can't justify buying a newer boat just because I have to fix things.  :D

Mick Laver

Hi Ainia,
The 34 Mk II is a great boat, especially for a couple. There are upgrades you'll want to do (replacing the fender washers with backing plates for the stanchions, adding storage under the V-berth come to mind), but not many.

Our only complaint is with the size of the holding tank. At 12-13 ga (Catalina specs say 18 ... it's not) the tank seems undersized for a 34 ft boat.  Since we're ocean sailors it's not that big a deal to head out past the 3-mile limit, but you mentioned you plan to sail the Great Lakes. Not an option there. I suspect pumpouts are more readily available, though. I seem to remember that others have removed the macerator and holding tank through-hull to make room for a larger tank.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Ron Hill

Ainia : If you want a larger Vberth and or a keel stepped mast then you need to look at the MK1s!!               If you can live with a 30hp engine (rather than a 21 or 23HP) then look at the 1991 thru 1994 C34 production.

As mentioned you can look at the Critical Updates and then decide. Also like Stu said - "A hell of a lot $$ cheaper" !!!   :?:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788