Electric windlass circuit breaker button stuck

Previous topic - Next topic

Stairmaster

Hi! I'd like to introduce myself and say hello :lol:! I'm relativity new here, but I reference this forum frequently and it's been a great resource! My partner bought a 1994 Catalina 34 this January and we've been loving the boat.

We recently ran into an issue with the circuit breaker on the panel while testing the electric windlass. On our boat you push the 80amp button IN to turn on the windlass. However, the button got stuck and we had to power down and remove the breaker all together to turn it off. We finally realized that the button was just stuck IN !! We looked at replacing the unit and it's about $110 dollars and not the most ideal circuit breaker. We will eventually upgrade breakers, but in the mean time is there a way to "grease" the button so it doesn't stick IN ? We also checked and the breaker appears to run off the house batteries and NOT the start batteries.

Here is a picture of the breaker with the button "out" or in the off position.

KWKloeber

IIWMB, I'd use a liberal dose of electronic contact cleaner and "work it baby."
Followed by a scant shot of silicone spray or better yet, dry PTFE spray and "work it baby" again.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Stair : Radio Shack has a spray call "Contact Cleaner".  It lubes and cleans the contacts.  Give it a try!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

J_Sail

One of my prohibitions against the use of silicone is near electrical contacts that are subject to arcing. That means relays, switches and circuit breakers. The reason is that an arc can convert silicone to silicon-carbide, an extremely hard insulator. The process is slow, so it's mostly a risk on relay contacts that actuate frequently.  So, probably no significant harm using it on your windlass breaker, but ideally, you would be better off using a product that does not contain silicone.

jeremy

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Stairmaster on August 02, 2018, 02:46:02 PM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
We also checked and the breaker appears to run off the house batteries and NOT the start batteries.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Which is where it should be placed.  The windlass is not a short momentary load, you can run it for anywhere from half a minute to much longer.  It really is a deep cycle type load.  One would be running the engine at the time anyway, right?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

I use

https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/cleaning-products-for-electronics/cleaners/specialty-cleaners/nu-trol-control-cleaner-401b

then excercise the braker.  Mine was frozen when I first got Shamrock.  Hasn't been a problem since.  The 5 oz lasts me years.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

lazybone

I personally would never trust a malfunctioning breaker that was "reconditioned" with spray lubes.  They're not simple switches.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Mick Laver

My breaker has started acting up (stuck OFF, fortunately) and rather than futz with lubricants I'm inclined to just replace it. It is a 20+ year-old boat, after all. Catalina says it's undoubtedly a Carling breaker, but part number? The owner's manual says simply "BREAKER, WINDLASS, 80A". Anyone replaced one of these guys? Windlass is a Maxwell VW500.

Thanks.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Mick Laver

Thanks, Ken. I haven't pulled it yet but I'll see if I can get a match. Catalina (Julian) suggested Blue Sea may be marketing them for Carling now.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

KWKloeber

Likely so.
Looking for a specific combination or something or other that BS didn't market so I got it directly thru CT.

Is it a PB breaker or one like this?

When you verify it PM me and I can likely order it wholesale for you (if you don't advertise it.)