Sale of Boat other than our message Bd

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

What do folks recommend as a good website or other way to sell my fine C34 tall rig located in Port Washington NY?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

KWKloeber

Wow. That was s quick passage down the coast.

Cliff if you are not around close by, and cannot put the time into showing her on off days, at odd hours, and at a few hours notice IIWMB I'd arrange a broker.

There's a LOT of time put into selling in a buyer's market (and a good portion of it non-productive.)

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ken Juul

I agree with KWK,  when I decided I wanted to keep our boat it cost me $2K in brokers fees.  If you go with a broker, read the contract and understand it. Buying or selling a house is easier.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

crieders

We never made the trip because of weather
Any suggestions for a broker?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

KWKloeber

Ken that's awful. Having and especially enforcing that clause in the agreement is just wrong. I never did that. Even if an owner SOLD privately we just tried to recoup some of the advertising expense, but NEVER if it went off the market legitimately.  Criminals.

Cliff. If you do go private it would be helpful if you had an escrow agent to handle the transaction as a third disinterested party. It makes buyers feel a lot more secure.
Also if it comes down to an offer/sale I have a private offering agreement. Ping me offline if that happens. 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Quote from: crieders on August 01, 2018, 07:03:11 AM
We never made the trip because of weather
Any suggestions for a broker?

I sure don't, at least in that area. You May want to speak with boat yards and/or a surveyors in that area for a recommendation.   You can look on the accreditation website(s) and search for one reasonably close to PW.

Interview the broker/owner for your comfort level. And especially their policies (they should be willing to send you a copy of the agreement- most use a standard Central Agreement;  but they are always free to modify it (if they are willing to.).  Don't get taken in by the "will present it on yacht world" garbage. That used to be the primo spot, but with everybody now having a computer in their back pocket, there's half a zillion other ways to advertise it that a simple search will pop up. I sold more boats listed off YW than on it. The broker's demeanor and your comfortable factor are most important.  But in the end, it can be a crapshoot, just like picking an attorney out of a list in the phonebook.  😉

sailaway

Sailboatlisting.com works good and is cheaper than most. I just recently sold mine but did it with a for sale sign.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: sailaway on August 02, 2018, 04:57:42 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I just recently sold mine but did it with a for sale sign.

Good idea!!!    :D :D :D   Works wonders.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

How about Boat Trader online (or a Russian Facebook ad?) :shock:😎
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig