Blower fan

Previous topic - Next topic

Luana

Hello C 34 owners. My wife and I are not new to sailing but certainly to C 34 Mk 2's and request some assistance. We are elated with our 2004 C34. We noticed after a long motor, that the aft cabin was very hot and smelled somewhat of a warm diesel engine!  I knew the blower fan switch was located under the Nav pod and flicked the switch to no avail.

I'm wondering a few things: where the fan motor is located, where there might be a fuse to the fan, if the fan is activated by a thermostat and where that might be and anything else you might advise for me to activate the blower. Many thanks for any assistance. Regards, Rod
Rod
Graylin  #1677

Roc

All the best with your C34MkII  :clap
The blower should go on when you flip the switch that is under the Nav Pod, at the base of the pedestal.  I would say there is some wiring issue, or blown fuse that needs to be checked.  It does not go on automatically, you need to turn it on with the switch.  Make sure there are two hoses that lead to the engine bay.  They should be seen entering right on either side of where the shaft exits the hull.   The motor is located on the SB side in the aft flip seat locker.  I believe not that far from the fridge compressor.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jon W

I have a MK1 so your motor location may be in a different place. I have rewired most of my 1987. The wires for the blower motor literally fell out of the crimped connectors. As a result I recommend you check the wires at the panel and switch first. Lot of wires behind that panel. Give each a light tug to check the integrity of the crimp. Mine looked fine until I did that.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Luana

Many thanks Jon and Roc for your helpful advice. I will take a dive into the starbd locker and have a look!
Cheers
Rod
Graylin  #1677

WTunnessen

If you need to get access to the blower itself, the easiest way is to remove the panels in the aft cabin. Since your new to the boat anyways, its not a bad idea to remove the panels and familiarize your self with what is behind there.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Ron Hill

Luana : You need to correspond with Roc as he has a MK II.
If you see any advice from an owner with a Hull # less than year 1995 - you have advice from a MK I owner!!

Many ancillary items/systems are different to VERY different in the MKII.

Welcome aboard   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Luana on July 22, 2018, 07:57:21 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1.  We noticed after a long motor, that the aft cabin was very hot and smelled somewhat of a warm diesel engine!  I knew the blower fan switch was located under the Nav pod and flicked the switch to no avail.

2.  I'm wondering a few things: where the fan motor is located, where there might be a fuse to the fan, if the fan is activated by a thermostat and where that might be and anything else you might advise for me to activate the blower.

Rod,

Welcome to our little merry band.  Glad you're here.

1.  Smells can be from any number of things.  A diesel leak to something as simple as the engine blow by through the oil breather which most have solved with a direct input to the air intake.  Only took me 19 years to do it, but the results are astounding.  Simple to do.

2.  May I suggest looking at the owners manual?  Sometimes we often forget the most obvious.  The manual for our boats, both Mark Is and Mark IIs, and those "in between" are remarkably well done by Catalina, compared to others I have heard about.  They are available in the tech wiki under, uhm, Manuals.  They show the wiring and in most cases the location of the components, perhaps in different diagrams.  I re-read my manual every once in a while, when I get tired of my standard fare of science fiction.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

fatamorgana

On our MK1, the blower only comes on when the key is on (and the blower switch is on). 
1988 C34 wing keel, standard rig

csimmerling

Hi Stu,
I was intrigued by your post and want to read more, but a forum search for "oil breather" only returned this post. Where could I find out more?
Thanks!
Carlos
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

Ken Juul

Take a look in the tech wiki.  engine section, misc projects subsection.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: csimmerling on August 07, 2018, 02:51:55 AM
Hi Stu,
I was intrigued by your post and want to read more, but a forum search for "oil breather" only returned this post. Where could I find out more?
Thanks!
Carlos

Carlos,

The 101 Topics, the Critical Upgrades, and, as Ken said, the tech wiki are always the place the look.

Have you tried the C34 website search engine?  Go to HOME and start there.

It'd get you right back here!   :D :D :D :D

Easy and worthwhile project.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : If I was at anchor for awhile and using the propane stove/oven; I'd turn on the blower for a few minutes before starting the engine. 
You already have the blower - why not use it!?!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Hugh17

Quote from: fatamorgana on July 27, 2018, 08:45:45 AM
On our MK1, the blower only comes on when the key is on (and the blower switch is on).
Thanks for that little tidbit. I was planning to check out my blower this weekend. I have a switch by have never seen the blower or even know if it works.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Ralph Masters

I ran a new wire aft from the shower sump pump and wired the fan into that, I can run the fan without turning on the key switch for the engine and I don't have to listen to the low oil pressure alarm while doing that.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Hugh17

That's a good suggestion. I'll do the same if mine is wired as indicated. Thanks!
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25