Painting Mast, Boom, Spreaders

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Wey

My 1990 version rig is showing it's age. In some spots I have some major corrosion problems. By that I mean moisture under the paint that is now bubling up and scaling off.  I would like to sand it down to the bare metal in the bad spots. Then prime and paint. Is there one kind of primer and paint that is better than others? Do I have to remove all of the old paint or just clean up the bad areas and rough up the rest, then prime and paint the works? I can do the boom and spreaders now in the winter in my basement and by the time spring comes around I should have the experience to tackle the mast. Is there any thing I have missed? I tried to email Catalina to get their opinion but the email link from this page would not work.

Thanks all.

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

dave davis-707-1988- san

It sounds like you are having a peeling problem similar to the one I had back in 1990. My boat was only two years old when when paint blisting started to show up in many areas. I would suggest that you talk to the painting shops and boat yards that paint Aluminum mast and not to depend on the Catalina factory. They buy the masts already painted. At least in 1988 mine came from The Spar Co. My mast had to be 100% stripped and reprimed and repainted with the best products at the time. Now, I assume that they have newer and better materials for repainting.
 By the way, after 12 years, my paint job looks preaty darn good.  Good luck...

Stu Jackson

On our '86 mast the major issue was bubbling around the fittings and screws.  You mentioned corrosion.  This is due to the wonderfully dissimilar metals used with the stainless fittings in the aluminum mast.

When we had our mast pulled a few years ago for re-rigging, I addressed the problem in two ways.

Where the bubbles occured where screws were, I backed out the screws with an impact driver and rebedded each screw with lanocote.

For the pop riveted items, including the sleeves for the lines into the mast, I just carefuly sanded around on the painted mast, cleaned and dried them off, masked and repainted with spray white primer that matched the color of the mast.  Of course, that corrosion is still going on, deep inside.

It's unfortunate that the aluminum pop rivets were ever used.

My mast issues were of limited coverage compared to your basic question of overall deterioration, but may help some others with limted bubbling and corrosion problems.

BTW, the "fixes" seem to have held up well, over the last two years.  Bubbling hasn't occured at those spots.  Still have some to do on the boom.

Before putting the stick in again, I spent two days washing and waxing.

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on February 13, 2003 at 05:49 PM.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mark Wey

Guys for what it's worth I emailed Charleston Spar and here is their reply.

Dear Mark,
We did not make the Catalina 34 in 1990.  Catalina made them.  Today we make the 34 furling mast and they do the standard.  However, Use the paint that is on the mast for fairing.  Sand it with 80 grit paper and when you have a bare spot, fair it in well and use a sealer before paint like alodine.  Please use proper protection with it.  Then use a zinc chromate primer and the two part paint can be applied.  Usually two coats.

Thank you,
Jim Kulibert

I think this along with your advice will see me through. I have already purchased the aluminium rivetts should help! Stu, what kind of bedding is Lanocoat? Does it come by another name? Never heard of it. While I have the mast down I plan to change the mast head sheaves. When I order them do I need anything else (Shafts, pins etc.) Is there any thing else I should do?

Thanks again guys.

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Jim Price

I recently purchased from West Marine On-Line.  Stores usually don't stock it.  Comes in a plastic can like car wax paste and has about same consistancy.  Just take your bolt, stick it in and the threads and under the head are coated, screw it in.  Works great - smells terrible though.
Expensive but well worth the cost to avoid problems in the future.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

is made by Forespar.  Check out their website, also available at West, Boat US, etc.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fulvio

This question might be too specific to my rig to be answered on the board, but I'll try anyway:

does anyone know what shade of white matches the paint on an 89 mast?  matterhorn, off-white, ... ?

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

jentine

After 11 years, the only paint problems I have encountered on the mast were at the base, the top of the mast and where the turnbuckle is fitted as a deck stiffener.  I sanded the area to remove the oxide that had formed and applied a coat of outboard motor anti fouling paint.  It is compatible with aluminum and I can't tell the difference in color.  The grief and agrivation to repaint the mast isn't worth the trouble.
Jim Kane