Roller Furler

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

Surprise is 1987 Mark I boat with a standard rig and a Furlex roller furler.  Last year I bought a used jib (~116) in good condition.  I used the jib in the last half of the season last year, and although the sail's luff is not as long as the 155 I had been using, I had no problem furling and unfurling it.  This year is a different story.  I've had problems furling and unfurling the sail.  When I observed that the halyard was wrapping around the headstay, I added a pennant at the tack to get the sail's head closer to the fitting just below the sheave.  This set up worked once.  Now the furler jams when I try to roll up the sail.  I am looking for suggestions as to how to solve this problem.

Thanks,

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

crieders

It's not high enough up. You need to be only a few inches or less
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

KWKloeber

Vic

Need to determine where it's jamming. eg, is the lower bearing completely free? 
Is there a halyard wrap (binoculars). 
The upper bearing may be stiff or seized (been there.)  When did you last service the bearings?
Halyard could be over- or under-tensioned.

Is the pennant free or is it (at the tack) lashed to the foil?
What was the OEM and current leech lengths?

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain