Replace head pump

Previous topic - Next topic

AMARI

2001 mkII, any tips to replace my head pump

Stu Jackson

Hi and welcome.

Heads were supplied by different vendors and may not be the same on all Mark II boats.

What brand of head do you have?

We've found that the more specific you can be in the question the higher degree of probability of a useful answer.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

AMA :  What model head?? 
It should be a straight FWD easy replacement.  Just be careful if it's a Jabco, that when you screw into the base that the base is PLASTIC and you only get one shot before you can mess up the threads with the stainless screws.
What I always do when screwing into plastic with old threads, is to put the screw in by hand and turn it counter clockwise till you feel that it has engaged the existing thread.  Then you can use a screwdriver!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Dave Spencer

Welcome Amari,
I've removed and reinstalled my Jabsco pump several times. It is very straight forward.  I would pump four or five strokes of clean water through the pump then turn off the seacock. Loosen the inlet hose clamp and the hose to the bowl. Expect some clean water to come out of each hose. Unscrew the joker valve clamp and those at the base of the pump and you should be all set. Ron is right about ensuring threads are lined up correctly before tightening the screws. Seals are simple and are designed so they can't be installed incorrectly. Generally it's the seals and joker valve that need attention. The pump structure rarely fails. Jabsco has a very good website providing useful instructions. I suspect Raritan and Groco have similar good instructions.
I've always found it is not too tough a job and is far cleaner than you may think although having a bucket and some paper towels handy is a good idea.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Noah

Be very careful not to overtighten the screws. Easy to strip out.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig