Oberdorfer Impeller kit

Previous topic - Next topic

scgunner

Lori & Bryan,

If you're losing prime after running the motor I'd suspect an air leak somewhere in your system, once the system is primed it should maintain prime as long as it's properly sealed.

Ken,

The WD40 will be of little consequence on the impeller since it's only seconds between the time you spray it into the pump and flush it out by starting the motor. Any kind of lube will work fine, The WD40 is just a matter of convenience.As a standard practice fire engines generally use 30wt motor oil in a small tank for their priming pumps.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

K-

Yep, as I said it's not fatal.

But Wd-40 is one of those products that promise the world and doesn't deliver any of them very well.  It's a lubricant, a solvent, a grease buster, an engine starter, a water displacer, a rust penetrant, a bla, bla, bla.  No single product can do all that and be any good at any single task.  It's among those things that probably doesn't belong in a boat inventory (like silicone caulk) because there are so many products that do all those things so much better.

If ease is key, why choose that?  (Although not a fan of) silicone spray in the hole would be a genuine lubricant.  WD40 is so thin that it doesn't build up any surface boundary layer so, yes, you have to keep spraying it until water squirts.  Mineral oil in a squeeze bottle would be just as convenient, and you can put the plug back in and not squirt water out of the RWP. 

Just suggestions for others -- YBYC.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

If you're going to go to the trouble of opening that screw, have you considered simply then opening the rw thru hull until water comes out the hole?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Stu

A few years ago, when I posted that the RWP hose nipples should be longer and double-clamped, I can't recall who said that the RWP is above the water line so so it's really unnecessary.  Was that a fib?

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

The top of the pump is almost right at if not a smidgen below the WL.

anybody wanna find out, just take the faceplate off with the thru hull open.

I'd do it, but I just rebuilt and reinstalled my pump.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

NewToTheRoad

LOL.  That's what I did to make sure the feed tube wasn't clogged.  Expect water.... :D
Lori & Bryan
1988 C34, M25XP, Std Rig, Fin Keel - Hull # 697
Portsmouth, RI

rappareems

Well...  turned out the impeller was fine pump was leaking talked with Moyer Pumps outside Pittsburgh... "Ken" seemed to know exactly what I needed... alas wrong kit...... finally talked with Oberdorfer they put me on to a Motion Indudtries near me in Buffalo. Gave me the kit #11691 and told me to tell them it is a five whole flange and shaft has a tang on it not a fork ... waiting on a price from them... meanwhile I need to return $96 worth of parts and shipping to Moyer Pumps!  Ron... will call Depco now...

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

KWKloeber

Mark

Refresh my beanie. What was the SYMPTOM and what was LEAKING?
And what parts did you get from Depco?

-Ken

rappareems

Took Ron's advice and called Depco.... (always take Ron's advice)... Joe filled me in the the "repair kit" recommended by Obordorfer did not contain the shaft which is what is  needed... Depco had the pump itself in stock ... $274 ... less then trying to piece together assorted parts... and much less hassle.  I can return the $96 part (w. shipping) to Moyer Pumps.  Shipping today
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

rappareems

Engine was not cooling sufficiently, a bit ... I changed the impeller... which was not necessary and when put pump back together and fired up saw that pump itself was leaking.... cheaper in parts and labor to go with a new pump.... all parts plus pump $276 + ... The repair kit that was the wrong one was $96 with shipping need to return that...
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

KWKloeber

Mark

Which pump did they sell you?  N202M-15 or N202M-16?

275 is 10% discount, same as mine. but I supply a N/C kit that replaces the bolts with captive stainless studs and stainless nylock flange nuts.  That way you aren't threading and torquing bolts into the crappy metal on the gear cover.  If you want a kit let me know.  Ezy peazy to install.

I recommend you use a genuine Kubota gasket, not the Westerbeke gasket.

BTW, if you call Depco, always ask for George Cornelius he's the marine pump supervisor.  But when he gets onto an application issue on a Universal diesel, he calls me  LOL.

Did you have a leak or a no pumping issue to start off?  we could have short-circuited the time if we knew in the beginning what was going on.

cheers
-ken

Ron Hill

Guys : I forgot to mention that DEPCO will rebuild a pump for you, if you don't want to do it yourself. 
Just give them a call and find out the cost.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

rappareems

Depco took care of me... all good.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario