Bowsprit for Catalina 34 Mk II

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

Hi.  I've just bought a (used) asym for downwind drifting.  I was wondering about installing a bowsprit so I can fly it out front the boat.  Was thinking about this:

https://catalinayachtsstore.com/wp/product/gennaker-bowsprit/

Does anyone know if I can mount this in front of the anchor locker (on the port side beside the anchor roller)?  I'd assume when it is retracted it would prevent the anchor locker from opening and when extended you could get in to the locker.  Is there enough deck space in front of the anchor locker to fix this to?

...or does anyone have any other idea on where to attach the tack of the asym to?  Can I fly it from the anchor roller?

Thanks  in advance.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

Geoff

I can't speak to mounting space in a C34 but obviously the further forward the better, but you can fly it from about anywhere. Many do fly ine from a pennant off a roller or even headsail tack point.  I fly my spin from my furler.

A friend with a 30 fabricated his pole to fly his new asym on a top down furler.  He had planned to fabricate them for sale- don't know if he ever did. If interested I could check on that, maybe locate a pic and get you in contact with him. Just another idea that might work out if there's a custom mount spot.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

steveg

Geoff,

Yes, you can mount it there. I have my bowsprit on the port side forward of the anchor locker. I keep it stored on deck with a bow bracket mounted in front of the anchor locker with padeyes mounted on the deck with one in front of the cabin for storage and the other just aft end of the anchor locker when you need to extend the bowsprit to fly the assymetric spinnaker.

I leave a small section of the bowsprit protruding in front of the bowsprit ring when it is stored. It does not take up much room and has not been a problem. I do have some storage mounts on the port stanchions in case I want to get it off the deck and use the anchor. My boat is a Catalina 34 mkii 2001.

Steve G.

Noah

Geoff- what brand pole and mounting set-up do you have? Is it a Selden, same as sold by the Catalina Yacht Store?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Geoffreykwright

Noah - not purchased one yet - was thinking of the Selden from the Catalina Yacht Store but was not sure it would fit on the deck (port side) in front of the anchor locker.  I've also seen some good articles about DIY from a fabricated SS or aluminium tube.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Noah

Sorry Geoff, , my what brand question was for Steve.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

steveg

Noah,  I have a Selden 075-075-70 gennaker bowsprit on my boat that I bought at the Chicago Boat show.  It was the one that allows the tackline to go through the bowsprit.  I tied off the port side mainsheet  to the deck mounted block so that the tackline can lead straight back to the cockpit where the mainsheet used to be. It works great and gives me the ability to control the tension on the luff of the assymetric spinnaker.

steveg

dfloeter

Steve, do you have any images that show the mounting?
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

steveg

Dfloeter,  I will be at the boat tomorrow to get it ready for the Queens Cup race this Friday, so I will get some pictures. We will see if I am successful posting them.

Steveg

steveg

Dfloeter, I just arrived back home from the race last night. I have the pictures on my phone but am unable to get them onto this forum. If you would like, I can send them to your cell phone. Otherwise, Does anyone know how to get photos from an I phone onto this site?

steveg

KWKloeber

Steve when I'm on a "device" and at the forum, I just open the attachments dialogue and browse for the attachment, and I can choose my photo library. Same as on my PC.

What issues are you having?  Which phone, android or iOS?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Ooops. I see I phone.  Read the post much, ken?

See "directions"

Attach:
(Choose file)