Did I destroy my Facet Fuel Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

I think that was someone else... but nothing non-OEM surprises me.

I assume the AC is AC/Delco?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

I would ass/u/e the same.

Point of reference - where that pump located, can't tell. Free hanging?

Point of information - where is your oil switch located, on-block or on a bracket?

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

rmbrown

That is my starboard forward engine mount in the picture's lower right.  The pump is forward of the dipstick by a few inches.  Based on my recollection, the pump is mounted on a bracket.  Based on one interpretation of this picture, that bolt holding down the ground wire is where it's mounted.

Re oil switch, I'm embarrassed to say that I have no idea.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Ok, now I C.

I'm embarrassed to say I have no clue where the fuel pump was mounted OEM on the C-34 M-25/XP/XPAs!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

rmbrown

The catalina direct pump says best if installed near fuel tank... were any of our engines plumbed like that?  If so, where?  Under head sink near racor?

I'm wondering if my original pump was bolted right were the current one is bolted, just got replaced by a previous owner or mechanic.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

mdidomenico

on my '89 the fuel pump is mounted in the head in the little compartment under the sink.  the racor was mounted directly below it on the wall to the left and the raw water strainer on the wall to the right
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

rmbrown

Thanks!

Is the pump upstream or downstream of the racor?
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Jon W

My 1987 is plumbed fuel tank -> Racor -> Facet pump -> on engine filter -> engine. The Racor and Facet fuel pump are installed inside the locker under the head sink.

Photo attached for reference.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

rmbrown

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Stu Jackson

The fuel pump on the Mark I boats is, as Jon said, under the head sink.  The Mark IIs have them mounted on the engine (looks completely different, just a small box).  Whether or not they were plumbed correctly is up to you.  Check it out.  Should be tank>>Racor>>pump>>engine filter>>engine.  The CONCEPT is to USE the RACOR filter BEFORE the pump.  The pump filter is NOT there to filter your tank.  That's why the primary Racor is there.  Covered in Critical Upgrades IIRC.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Stu

Was it the mk-I / mk-II changeover when the engines switched from the m-25 or XP to the XPA? 
It seems that the XPA is the first engine where Wb put the pump on the engine.

Craig Illman

I used to own #1150, a MK1.5 with an M25-XPA. I didn't have a fuel pump on the engine, but just the Facet under the sink.

Craig

rmbrown

I have 1251, also a Mk1.5, but with the M35AC... Any idea when they started using that one rather than the XPA?
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

I used to own #1150, a MK1.5 with an M25-XPA. I didn't have a fuel pump on the engine, but just the Facet under the sink.

Craig,  It's odd and there's a discontinuity in engine configurations (surprise?) 

Westerbeke bought Universal in 1990 and started producing the A-series in 1993.  The XPA/XPAC power plant is identical to the XP power plant, the difference being appendages (such as the oil switch being moved off=block to a bracket) and harness wiring (such as introducing the solenoid into the preheat circuit.)  But, that's according to the literature and its not 100%, looking at the "A"s "on the ground."

Not all the Wb data shows the A engines with the integral fuel pump.  An early schematic shows the "A"s with the hung Facet-type pump.  And all the literature I have seen shows ALL the "A"s having the fuel pump shut-off feature, driven by the normally-open low-oil-pressue switch (off-block on a bracket, like the "B-series.")  However, the 3 or 4 "A"s that I know of don't have that feature -- they have the single terminal normally-closed oil switch on the block. 

Of course the "C" is a designation that the wiring was modifed for CTY.  Maybe there are no CTYs out there with "A"s that have those wiring changes. Who knows, there's not a great documentation of those type changes and when I've asked my contact at Wb about those type things, the answer has always been, "I don't know, no record of that."

So go figure?

-k

Craig Illman

Ken - I thought I had a XPA, because it was silver-blue instead of brown, but maybe that wasn't a reliable indicator of sub-model?

Craig